yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
Both my friend and I have 2001 yz 250s. The only difference is that he uses the stock fork springs and an applied top triple clamp. I use the stock triple clamp, and one size softer springs. For whatever reason, one of his forks has slid up in the triple clamps twice. Not enough to touch the handlebars but enough to visually see a difference between the two sides. What could be causing this? Could one of the forks have some internal problem that causes it to be more stiff than the other thus forcing it up on hard hits? This seems unlikely since he says they do not feel harsh, but I don't know what else could be causing it. Any thoughts??

BTW the pinch bolts were torqued to manufacturers specs both times.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The clamps can vary in production so one side is tighter (with no bolts in) than the other-take the forks out and clean all inner surfaces of clamps with contact cleaner and also outside of forks.The refit forks and tighten bolts to spec with wench then i always do the top bolts a little tighter as this cannot cause binding as the bolts clamp alot higher up than the sliders travel.

S

Saratoga

I also run Applied top clamps on my 01 YZ 250. My springs are stiffer than stock. The forks have never moved. Tightening the triple clamp bolts can be tricky because there are two bolts which affect one another. You tighten one and the oter feels loose. After tightening the loose one the other one now feels loose.

Try lubing the bolts to get a better feel for tightness. Crank up on the top trilpe clamp bolts and be careful on the lower bolts. Good luck.

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
Thanks for the replies, but I was looking for something a little less obvious. I am an experienced mechanic and engineer so the forks were installed and torqued properly. It is possible that one of the clamps may have been manufactured on the "loose side" of the tolerences (that is if there is anyone checking tolerences on triple clamps). I just wanted to make sure it was not a sign of an internal problem with the fork. It it is not I will just "overtighten" the top triple clamp as you have both suggested. Thanks again.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Can you see if both the fork legs bottom (from the dust on the inner tube or by using a zip-tie around it)? If one goes further than the other, you might want to take them to a shop.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
I had the same problem with my YZ426f. I would turn real hard in some ruts and it would move on me, or if I landed hard off of a jump it would move also.

I install an Applied top triple clam and it no longer moves. :p IMO It's the top clamp!

Top Bottom