Jeremy Havlik

Sep 10, 2000
I have really bad luck blowing fork seals..and the other day I saw a bike with what looked like a T in between the front tire and the front fender when it was tied to the bed of a truck. I asked the guy what that was and he told me it was called a fork saver. Anyone use these and do they really help you not to break seals when your bike is strapped down in your bed?

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
Click HERE to read up on the Fork Support. I purchased one and used it for a while on my trailer, but it seems my bike is more stable during transportation without it. I just don't crank down the forks when tying it down. As far as protecting your fork seals go, I don't really know how this could make a big difference. I personally would check to make sure all your fork parts are not scored or worn out. Maintenance I believe is a key factor. I've also heard some of the fork seals on the market are better than others, but don't remember which ones not to buy. I find it hard to believe the 30 min - 3hrs of transportation will do more harm than out riding in the elements, but then again I'm not a professional in this area. Hopefully someone else can give you more precise advise.

kooade

Jul 12, 2001
We just use 4x4s wood blocks. why pay for one. One thing it does help is the bike bouncing and releasing the tie downs, When you hit a bump At 100mph. I"d rather get a bike shoe for the long run.

Bobt250

Jan 21, 2002
I'm with the 4X4 block idea if you feel the need although I've been strapping my bike down for 30 years without any help from such devices and never cause a problem for myself.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I use those fork savers all the time and stopped blowing fork seals on long hauls.

Just one word of advice, make sure its clinched down tight, those things can fall out which has happen and then the bike fell over, luckily on the inside of the trailer.

I am now using a piece of velcro strap top wrap around the fork saver and the fork tubes.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I swear by these things, although I use a 3 inch piece of PVC. It seems to work well and I have never had any problem with it moving during transport. I personally think that it is a LOT more stable with the PVC in place, as the bike wont bounce, wobble, or lean when the vehicle hits a bump or takes a corner. I further believe that it puts less pressure on the tie downs due to the pressure on them remaining somewhat static (as compared to bouncing, etc). Between that and running carabiners on my tie downs (so the hooks cant come undone), I feel much more confident when traveling. Nothing like having a bike come off of the trailer once to make you extremely particular about how they are strapped down in the future. As a side note, I do believe that it helps the fork seals somehwat.

Top Bottom