slappy123456

Oct 2, 2001
just wondering if anyone can help a guy that has a blown fork seal and not much cash, can afford parts but not the labor, anyone have a step by step procedure to do it? any help would be very appreciated, its the only part of my bikes i have never worked on.

bikeguy

Sep 3, 2002
It's pretty easy, but you need a fork seal driver- $70.00. Go to MX'tech's or Proaction's website, there should be instructions there.

flea

Oct 8, 2001
Race tech makes the drivers but Measure them first. I bought one and it was 0.035" bigger than the seal bore it was "designed" to slip into. It will ruin a fork fast.
Replacing seals is easy
Remove top cap
seperate cap from damper rod.
remove spring
drain oil (despose of properly)
Pry wiper seal down
remove snap ring (screwdriver is ok)
seperate upper tube from lower (work it like a slide hammer to remove seal)
Keep track of the order of seals washers and bushings (so you can put them back on next)
Put plastic wrap around the bushing edge (steel tube) before you slide a new seal on (very important or you will be doing it again)
Use seal driver to press in new seal (just below snap ring groove)
Install snap ring and dust wiper
re-fill with 5 wt oil 110mm from top (move damper rod up and down a lot to get rid of any air. (best to do an oil change on your other leg too
Install spring cap etc
ride

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by johnf3
Before the forks will come apart, you have to remove the base valve!

I don't think so.

As flea says, you need to put something (Plastic wrap or even the plastic bag the seal comes in) over the sharp end of the tube or you will damage your new seal.
Try sliding the old seal back on and you will see what he means.

You can make a seal driver out of PVC rather than buying one. (Even on the Upside Down Forks) Do a search because it has been explained many times.

Hope this helps.

slappy123456

Oct 2, 2001
, i was told i will need a impact to dissassemble them is that true, a mistake is costly with forks, i havent ridden for 3 weeks now im goin crazy, i need fork seal replacement for dummies lol, uhh seriosly, thanks for any help given

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
You don't need an impact to disassemble them.

I would suggest that if you have never done the seals it is best to find someone who has and watch them do the job one time.

It's really not very hard but if you don't have a manual you could mess something up.

Heck, you can even mess them up by over tighting the bolts on the triple clamps.

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
slappy,

I have a complete disassembly/assembly manual for the WP forks in Acrobat format I can email you. Email me at enmerdeur@mindspring.com and I will email it back to you.

Sigster

Jun 16, 2000
Seal Driver? For what? Waste of money, in my opinion. My buddy showed me how the old seal can be used as the driver. Simply put the old seal on the lower leg before the new seal. Slide the top and bottom together and it will seat the new seal. Then just cut the old one off. Works everytime. He's done it, I've done and I know of others who do it.

Top Bottom