Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I just took apart my forks to raise the fork oil level and I noticed there was a 1 3/16" section of PVC pipe between the spring and the cap. There are also 4 1/8" washers with 3 below the PVC, and one above. The service manual does not show any spacers at all. Are they supposed to be in there? The fork spring free length is within spec. The guy I bought the bike from is heavier than I am. I am 185, and the bike has .46 springs in it, with gold valves. Can anyone help me out on this? Should I leave them in there, take them out, what? I had the suspension serviced a month or so ago, and the guy didn't say anything about it. Should I call the suspension shop where the previous owner took the forks and ask him? Thanks a lot for your help.

Jeremy
98 XR400

rosshh

Nov 7, 2001
The pvc spacer and washers are used to adjust preload. For your weight you are probally using too heavy of springs and the valving and preload are probally off too for your weight, unless you like your suspension stiff. I would leave them in because if you take them out I would think you would have negative preload if the springs are shorter than stock, like the race tech springs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom