Crisp

Feb 24, 2002
I changed the fork oil and put in heavier springs. I'm hearing a clicking noise coming from the left fork near the top when I push down on the forks. Is this something I should worry about? Thanks....

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
Your fork spring may be binding up. Try unscrewing the top cap enough to release any pressure on the spring and to let it settle back into it's natural state. Also, you might check to make sure that the small "snap-in" (lack of a better term) base is properly seated on the bottom of the spring. Hope this helps.

Crisp

Feb 24, 2002
I tore into it and couldn't find anything unusual. Put it back together and noticed that the click isn't nearly as loud as it was. Barely noticeable. Who knows? Later...

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
Hey,Your not alone.I have the same noise after the same mod.It really bothered me until I checked it out(checked the fluid after riding a couple of times)no loose metal in the fluid or odd wear marks on any of the components.Both race-tech springs have no sag and the preload is still where I left it @ 10mm.When I installed the new springs I did not used the bottom clip washers.(bottom of the spring)The only thing I can think of is that maybe the spring bows slightly and taps the inside of the fork tube apon initial load.But likeI said,seems ok after 250 mi.Please let me know if you figure it out.:)

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
OK.I think I got it.Knobbytracks's post made me wonder,so he gets the credit.I pulled the fork tubes with the intention of putting in the bottom clip washer to see if that would make a difference.But I think the difference came when I put the tubes back together.Put the spring/spacers/cap on per the manual.Then thread the TUBE onto the cap,holding the cap in place.Rotate the tube with one hand and hold the cap with the other(hold the lower fork tube between your feet)This stops the spring from twisting or being rotated.I just got it back together and it's all good.The sound of plushness:)

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I just discovered the same click too after I installed my FRP .40's. The only thing I can up with it that the springs bow's under compression and taps the side of the leg, as Porter said. I just tore them apart and couldnt find anything wrong. The bottom clip is in place and all the spacer washer are the right way in. I will try Porters suggestion on twisting the fork leg into the cap. BTW, this click happens about mid stroke.

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
exactly my problem! this site never fails to make my life a little easier.what is everyone running their fork oil level at with just the spring change,no gold valves?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
my forks click and they clicked when it was brand new. The 02 and 03 kdx's I checked at the dealer click. My Bro's DRZ also clicks and so did the other DRZ's at the dealer.

rpmartin

Oct 13, 2002
I just serviced my forks yesterday and this same clicking is aparent in my forks. I took them apart to try to find the offending issue...nothing seemed to be wrong. I will try the twisting technique mentioned.

Top Bottom