Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Screw the left turn bumper cars. F1 ROCKS! Purpose built track to boot! :aj:

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I was a retard and never made it to the Indy GP despite living 40minutes from the track. Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to Texas. Or drop everything i'm doing and head to Canada for the June race this year (not going to happen). Need a passport to go to Canada these days?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Outstanding!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
By 2012 you may need a passport to get in to Texas :)

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
F1 rocks! If you can attend - do! I was in Melbourne and missed it (wifey's fault) but I got to go in Bahrain.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
This is most FANTASTIC! It is also a 10 year commitment.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
ha wow i cant wait fiinally we get some quality racing out here in the west.

ps. usa is the west

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Discussions of adding a east coast NJ/NY event now as well. Might be a little concern over Tavo actually pulling it off and they want a sure thing for 2013? Who knows.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
do you know if it would be possible for them to race a walkensglen? or would they be building some new tracks here on the east coast?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Bernie's original choice was in NJ with view of NYC skyline in background. Greenies shot it down, wanting to preserve the green space for quiet activities. Monticello Motorsports Park (one of the new country club racetracks sprouting up across the country) lobbied for it but it was too far from anything for serious consideration. Watkins Glen was of course the first track in the US purpose-built for F1 27 years ago and host of the USGP for many years, but it was never considered for a return of the modern F1 cars.

Meanwhile Texas offered $25M per year in incentives that are available for major sporting events to offset some expenses of hosting these major events (and have been used for superbowl, world series). Add to that Tavo's dad goes back a long way in motorsports (Mexico races) and that is why Bernie has known Tavo for ~30 years. Plus they are planning an all-new track to cost an estimated $250M.

The one ominous comment Bernie made in the local newspaper article about this is the 2012 date. Most believe that 2013 would be aggressive and 2012 nigh impossible. But Bernie said if Tavo misses 2012 it would be very, very expensive.

Top Bottom