Fouling plugs, need help!!!!

oktazz

Feb 22, 2005
I have an 01 KDX220. It has FMF pipe (not sure which one), modified air box, and I was told the carb has been bored. It ran fine since I bought it about 4 months ago. I ran some bad gas through it and it died while riding. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. It has a 160 main, a 45 pilot, and the clip is set 2nd notch from the top. It has always smoked a little and has some spoog, but I do not ride very hard. Now since I have put it back together, it fouls plugs after a few minutes of riding. The plug is very wet with oil. I have tried adjusting the air screw but it dows not help. Oh, I am running 40:1 ratio also. Everything is set up the way it was before the bad gas and I never fouled a plug before. What am I doing wrong????? Any suggestions welcome..... :aj:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
For a 35 to 36mm carb (bored) I would suspect that the main jet is too rich. First check your float level. You may have a needle and seat assembly that is not sealing well or too high of a fuel level. After that I'd stick in a 155 main and set my air screw to 1 1/2 out and start experimenting from there. You may also need to drop the pilot to a 42, but your experimenting will let you know that very soon. You didn't mention what your elevation is, BTW.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…