Fouling plugs, need help!!!!

oktazz

Feb 22, 2005
I have an 01 KDX220. It has FMF pipe (not sure which one), modified air box, and I was told the carb has been bored. It ran fine since I bought it about 4 months ago. I ran some bad gas through it and it died while riding. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. It has a 160 main, a 45 pilot, and the clip is set 2nd notch from the top. It has always smoked a little and has some spoog, but I do not ride very hard. Now since I have put it back together, it fouls plugs after a few minutes of riding. The plug is very wet with oil. I have tried adjusting the air screw but it dows not help. Oh, I am running 40:1 ratio also. Everything is set up the way it was before the bad gas and I never fouled a plug before. What am I doing wrong????? Any suggestions welcome..... :aj:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
For a 35 to 36mm carb (bored) I would suspect that the main jet is too rich. First check your float level. You may have a needle and seat assembly that is not sealing well or too high of a fuel level. After that I'd stick in a 155 main and set my air screw to 1 1/2 out and start experimenting from there. You may also need to drop the pilot to a 42, but your experimenting will let you know that very soon. You didn't mention what your elevation is, BTW.

Top Bottom