bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i looked into both, but the stories about the Fox boots falling apart after a few rides confirmed my purchase of the Tech 6's!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've got the Fox boots. I really liked them when I took them out of the box. They fit well, and even felt broke in already but after a series of rides, I noticed they were tearing down on top of the toe. I sent them back and got them replaced and now they have torn above the ankle on both boots. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Alpine Stars due to quality. I still love the Fox boot but unless they fix what goes wrong, they are inferior to the Alpine Star.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Elk,

I have read other horror stories about Fox boots also from the other websites. I hear they are tearing and ripping seams all over.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'll have a pair of Fox at DW'02. I've had them for 6-7 years. They are still in good shape. I don't know what has kept them from falling apart like the others?

Dan from HB

Aug 24, 2002
I've got an old pair of the original Fox Forma from about 4 years ago as well. They have some significant wear and tear, but still work and support great. My only issue is that they aren't waterproof anymore. But it's a minor issue here in SoCal. One son has Tech 8's and the other has same Formas as mine. All seem to be just fine.
Dan

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Let me correct my answer. I mean I hear that the 01-02 Fox Forma's are ripping apart at the seams.

Fox has indicated there was a problem with the stitching and are replacing or fixing them.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yes, it's the new Fox boots that are ripping. Of course, that was the year I decided to get them!:| The older ones are great and still hold together. I think they might have fixed their problem with the newer ones.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by RoosteR13
I'll have a pair of Fox at DW'02. I've had them for 6-7 years. They are still in good shape. I don't know what has kept them from falling apart like the others?

I too have a pair of the older Fox Forma boots. Think I got them in 98. They have held up well but I know many who bought newer ones and had them fall apart. I like my A-star boots for comfort and for durability :thumb:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I bought a pair of forma comps, they tore so i sent them back to FOX, they had them for over a month (mind you i live about 25 miles from gilroy ca) they put these stitches in them, boots look like FRANKENSTIENS boots.. Went and bought a pair of tech 8's and i will always buy alpinestars now .. In the pic i attached, you can see one of Stewarts latches came undone also.. Hope this helps your decision..
RIck

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
:thumb:You'll be happy!
I've got the Tech-8's, but with all the hype about the Sidi's I think I'll at least try them on and do a showroom comparison the next time I need boots. :yeehaw:
For me it's protection first, comfort and durability a very close second and third, and price last(no matter what, it'll be cheaper than docs' tab) :eek:

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Ive got a pair of Hallman Sidis that I bought in 1982. The feel like bedroom slippers now, they are so soft. My "new" boots are a pair of Fox that I got in 96 and short of having to fix the toe strap because the kicker on my 500 punched a hole in it and it tore, have been flawless. Im lookin for new boots again and am faced with the same delima as the author of this thread. Which ones? Im not one to get new boots often, and when IM done with them there isnt much left, so Im not opposed to spending some dough on good ones. Ive just heard some horror stories about the replaceable arc in the Tech 8's. You can get a new one, but usually the part where the replacment arc goes is too hammered to properly accept the replacement part. So the fixability becomes a liability. If anyone has any experience with that post what happened.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I bought the Fox forma comp six month ago and they are tearing on the top part behind the toes; not to mention the buckles make say bad things every times. My older forma comp (previous model) held up so great after 3 years of abuse they looked only slightly used when I sold them. My new 6 months old boots are toasted already.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Shawn Mc...

I have MSR boots that are basically Tech 6's. I have replaced the arch area on the sole. If you use a heat gun and take your time, you can cleanly remove the old pieces. If you get impatient and start prying w/ a screwdriver or knife, then you will ruin the bonding surface.

The problems that people are having w/ the Alpinestars is when you wear out parts of the permanent sole. Both the permanent and replaceable parts of the sole are very soft. If you weigh alot or ride on the balls of you feet alot, you will have trouble. (the reason, I said something about weight, is that I weigh 175 and have a buddy that weighs 225. He tears through his soles twice as fast as I do)

Top Bottom