trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
The April issue of Motocross Action presented the Alpinestar Tech 3 boots. They are pretty cheap for 159$, but are they good? I'm currently looking for some boots (size 12) and hesitate between a new pair of those or a pair of Fox Forma on the EvilBay. Does anybody here have some experiences with the boots? Do they offer good protection even if they are cheap?

Thank you!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I just purchased these boots. They are good for the money. But I would say pay the extra and get a little nicer ones.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You get what you pay for, I only rode 6 times last year, so I bought cheaper boots. I won't make the same mistake the year, it SUCKED.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Ok thanks guys! Would Fox Forma be a good choice? Or Thor Quadrant?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
got a pair of the Tech 3 boots on the way. Can't be any worse than my MSR system X pair . . .

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Cool. Could you tell us how you like them once you have a chance to try them out?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
DEAL :cool: :rotfl:

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I wore my tech 2 boots last week riding for about 5 hours. Once They broke in a little they were pretty nice. They are a good pare of spare boots to have or if your not going to be riding very much.

jasonr82

Nov 22, 2006
661 Hurricane

I hated these boots. They felt overly stiff and never felt like there was a hinge in them. They gave terrible feel for the bike, the shifter, and the brake.

Good buckles, tight cupped toe and ankle, feels good though a little weird getting on at first. Break in seems quick, especially the ankle flex which is easy. The ankle is fat cushy padded and thick inside (and out) as it felt like it held my foot farther off the side of the bike (I grab with my ankles). I got a little pinch inside the right boot through the bootie. Good ankle movement, average toe movement.

These are really comfortable and super protective. A bit stiff in the toe, but the ankle movement makes up for it. I really like hinged boots now. They look really good, but the buckles are just all right.

Alpinestars Tech 6

This is the best bang for your buck boot. Just like the Tech 8 with a little less plushness because there's no comfortable bootie. Really good feel and a 'never think about it' boot when riding. No complaints.

Excellent feel right off the bat. A little stiff when new in the ankle but pretty good flex for no hinge system. Narrow on the outside overall and thin at the ankle. The sole is stiffer than most with less flex. Nothing stands out with this boot, could be called the "standard boot."

Before I even got these on my feet, the little rubber Astars patch fell off the top. They have good buckles and fit, with a simple, comfortable shape. They adjust well and move naturally with the foot. They are a little big around the very top, this may account for the feeling of the ankles having some play front to back. The sole is stiff and solid. The rubber wrap over the toe area is rigid, but still provides some feel. Good boots.

Very comfortable. The buckles are to hard to tighten and way too hard to clip in. Interior of the boots are very padded and extremely comfortable. Soles of boots are very strong. Boots don't make any pinch points (ex: when shifting, braking)

Alpinestars Tech 8

I like these better than the Tech 10s because the 10's seem 'round' on the leg and don't 'hug' the bike, but the 8's and the 6's feel pliable on the leg and give a better feel for and connection to the bike. I'm not sold on the new Alpinestars buckles yet.

I got the ankle pinch out of these because the buckles were adjusted wrong and got the boot flexing in the wrong spot. The boot has decent flex and a nice wide toe box with excellent protection. The have great side-to-side stiffness and a light stiffness feel in the normal foot movement range. These boots, like the tech 10, have a great sealing lip around the top of the boot to keep crap out.

Great fit, with no pinching. These keep your feet really warm. It's hard to feel shifter and brake because the toes are too stiff. They are hard to buckle, but easy to get off.

These have the best feel overall. I wore them all day at Last Man Standing in the mud and my toes barely got wet. At night, even when it was 20 degrees, they stayed warm. The only bad thing is the buckles: they were fine until LMS, but they suck in the mud and I couldn't keep them buckled the whole race and now they are messed up. I always get trapped in them cause they are impossible to get off without pliers.

Very comfortable soft bootie. Boot takes a couple rides to work in. Once worked in, its very comfortable and maneuverable. Buckles are very difficult to shift (looser or tighter) and very hard to clip all the way in. Great soles. The all around weight and support of the boot is spectacular.

Alpinestars Tech 10

Nice low toebox area and a comfortable boot, but sometimes the leg portion felt too stiff to really get a good squeeze on the bike. The buckles are a pain to get on, a pain to get off - until you realize the trick to getting them off is to make sure there's no tension on them, then they'll unbuckle easily.

Straps are very easy to adjust and stay put. Buckling "click" is crappy and often times takes a good hit, sometimes hard to do on the top buckle. There is a metal part in the bootie that now cuts my ankle and would require me to grind it smooth and pad it for any long term use (this is new since the first tech 10s for me) It pinched me so bad I couldn't ride. Movement was good but the boot doesn't feel as protective as others, especially in the toe/front of foot area. This boot is one of the coolest, best vented boots I've worn.

Boots broke in extremely quick. Felt slimmer, which helped you control with your feet. Only three buckles made them hassle free. Bootie is definitely the best around, the plastics sides gave unbelievable ankle support. If you wear the boots for too long, the plastic on the bootie digs into your ankle. Very maneuverable with the rotation system. (great control breaking and shifting.)

Top Bottom