Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Any body know for sure what process is used on the 98 400F frames. Why I ask, I am running my frame down our paint line,(powder coating process) and I want to make sure of compadibility.
Seems like there might be some kind of clear coat process over the original paint. I'm trying to keep from having to sand blast the hole frame.

(yea, I know, what are you painting a frame for in the middle of riding season, "Healing broken ribs, gotta do something with my bike!":scream:

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Mike the best bet is to blast the whole bike or find a place to acid dip it.[Also makes it easier to inspect for cracks] Find some old bolts to fill threaded holes and tape off bearing races. Leave the bolts in for powder coating or you will have to run thread chasers through them to remove powder coating. If you don't want to do it I am sure some shop would for $50. but it sounds as if you have some time to kill. Hope the ribs heal quickly. Brad #816

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
how are you going to get it to stick? my understanding is that unless you have equipment made for multi-layer coating, you have to go on bare metal. regardless, there is nothing better for long term durability than a nice sand-blast texture. it give the coating lots of traction, which makes it more robust.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
will,
we produce frames for our generators here, and paint them. We will take a
frame and run it back throuh the line if it does not meet quality. If it bubbles or flakes from something on the frame, they just sand that part and run it back through. You can not do this if it had not been powder coated originaly. (so I am told) so if the Yamaha frame was powder coated, I should be able to sand (rough up) the bad parts, and hang it on the line. :confused:
Brad, getting better, happened over a month ago, doen't hurt neer as much
when I lay down at night:cool: c'ya

Top Bottom