dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
i have a 96 cr80 and i noticed that the left front fork is leaking fluid, what do i need to do to fix this, im thinking ill have to fill the forks back up with fork fluid and replace the leaking seal.
how much (estimated) would this cost to be done at a shop (for both forks)
thanks

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
i looked at the forks, and tried the credit card trick on them, i think it helped on one and i checked the one that wasent leaking and found it was completely dry of fluid, also the seal on this one was nasty and i think it needs replacing.
so what i need is 2 new seals and to fill the forks up with oil. how and where do i put the oil in and how will i know its full. is it hard to install the seals, or should i have a shop do it for me. (im not very experienced and only know basics and can do simple repairs)
thanks

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
you coul dpick up a service manual for your bike, it will describe the procedure- it is not that hard to do, but if you are unsure of your skills, contact people like MX Tech (link on the left at the bottom) and they can fix you up - probably looking at $150 to do this but i could be estimating high.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
ill try to pick up a manual sometime, if i can find one, but do you know where i put the oil in, also, do u think it caused any damage to run the bike without oil in one of the forks

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
dan4011 said:
ill try to pick up a manual sometime, if i can find one, but do you know where i put the oil in, also, do u think it caused any damage to run the bike without oil in one of the forks

It didn't help any.

Chances are good that there is some damage to the slider bushings. The oil goes in the top, you know, the very top of the fork. There is a cap that threads in, holds the spring in place too. You need to loosen the pinch bolts on the upper triple clamp, prolly have to at least loosen the handlebars, thread the spring cap off and add oil. There is a specific level/quantity of oil, and the proper 'weight' of oil is also crucial.

Keep in mind the seals will leak it out quite fast if you don't replace them.

CR80....hmm, I am assuming you are young? Best bet is to find some guy you ride with, who has some experience, to show you/teach you how to change the seals It isn't all that hard, but the consequences of a botched job of it are pretty steep($$). If you are going to ride for any number of years it pays to know how to do it(and other semi-basic repairs).

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
im not real young (im 15) i just ride the 80 for fun, and i dont race. i dont know of anyone who could help me out with this problem besides a shop. how much do u think it would cost to have this problem fixed at a shop?

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
If you pull the forks yourself it really shouldn't be that much. Hang or put the bike on blocks so the front wheel is airborne. Remove the front wheel.Get any brake mounts/caliper free of the fork leg. Loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps. Slide the fork tubes out of the triple tree. Take the forks to a shop, with your bike's model # and D.O.M. (date of manufacture). Preferably call, or stop in to schedule 'when' with them first(so they can order or make sure to have in stock the proper seals). Ask if you can watch.

I would charge straight time for the job, plus parts/oil. My shop labor rate is $45 an hour. I would give myself a full hour to make sure the parts were clean and nothing was getting overlooked. So....with me, it would run you about 65-75 bucks if you brought me just the forks.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
im going to give my shop a call.
whats the difference betwen an oil seal and a dust seal, they look the same to me.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
i called my shop and they seid they could do it for ~150 and that it should be somewhere under 100 if i took the forks off myself. so i already got my forks off and they will be going there sometime today or tomarow.
thanks for all of your help

Top Bottom