front fork static sag or race sag

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Does anyone know what the static sag or race sag is supposed to be for a 200exc?And if so,how do you change it?Thanks for any responses.I am trying to help it steer better so I raised the forks from about 7mm to 10 mm and it seems better,but would like to make sure everything is set up the best it could be.Is anyone with a 200exc running 100 mm of race sag on rear or would 90 be better?and I posted on another post trying to figure where to get the centerline horizontally so I could figure out exactly how much stagger or difference from front to back so that I can know that there is more weight being transferred to the front tire.Theres got to be away to make this better without buying offset clamps.please help on any of these questions if you can.Thanks

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
Before you work on the front fork sag of the PDS KTMs make sure your rear shock sag is correct. (3.5" to 4")
Since you want the bike to turn better you are checking the sag. If you are normal weight and a normal rider the stock setting should be OK. Before changing the sag (by changing the spacer at the top of the fork springs), try adjusting the compression settings (lower). This will let the forks compress better when entering the corner.
You also might be too low in the stroke which could put you in the heavy compression area of the fork. To solve that you put in a heavier fork spring.
How does the bike feel? Is the front end riding high enough to be in the soft compression area? Have you checked the fork oil level (too much oil will make the front end too stiff).
Just freshening up the fork oil might help. Lastly check that the forks and triple clamps are not binding. Loosen up the axle and triple clamp bolts, compress the front end several times. This will remove any binding. Then tighten up all bolts to spec. Make sure you don't over tighten the fork pinch bolts.
RAD DAD

Top Bottom