kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
Whats wrong with the stock front tire on the KDX's and what is a good tire to replace it with. Ive heard lots of people say to change the stock one to a better one. Well i have never asked the question why, so thats where you guys come in. Thanks Darren

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
KDXME--My 2 cents---I have had my kdx 200 for 2 years and I have tried several. So far the Dunlop 756 has worked well.I hated the stock tire.I ride soft to intermediate conditions.

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
I also use the Dunlop 756 on the front with FRP springs. When I bought the new tire the local shop said I was crazy to even ride with the stock tire he said I was lucky I did not hurt myself. He did not see my broken arm behind my back. What a laugh we had....

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
There's nothing wrong with the K490, as long as you use them in conditions for which they were designed (intermediate to hard).

Somewhere on the Dunlop site they list what tires their sponsered guys used on particular tracks. Some of these guys (people youve heard of) use K490s on what I'm presuming are hard tracks.

They work great in the rocks and aren't prone to pinch flats. They DON'T clean mud very well, which is why they get a bad rap.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I went to the Dunlop site and couldn't find the info I referenced above. It looks like they redesigned the site. Anyway I thought I better find something to support the statement above so here's a link.

http://www.partsmag.com/spring issue 993 (off road)/dunlop_editorial.html

About halfway down where they talk about the 739 they hint that it was designed in 98 to replace the K490 and K695. Some people still prefer the K490. Here's an excerpt:

Brian Fleck, Dunlop's Motorsport Off-Road Racing Manager in charge of product development, reported that the California tracks were perfect for the D739. "The track conditions at Anaheim and San Diego were pea-size rocks on top of a hard pack base," said Fleck. "These are the conditions in the past that Dunlop riders would have chosen K490 front and K695 rear. The D739s have changed that."

kdxracer577

Oct 25, 2002
i have a D756 for my front tire on my kawie and like it much more than the stock tire in any condition. however i just bought a new front tire for my cr 250 from maxxis and i like this tire more than the D756. its late and really cold outside now so ill check what style it is tomarow, but i really like it a lot.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
2 more cents worth...

Last year I switched to Michelins. MS2's mostly and have not looked back. Even with heavier fork springs I always felt like the KDX front end washed out far too easily. The Michelins really helped with that. We ride mostly intermdiate to soft terrain, and when it rains here the clay base is like grease. The MS2's have great bite on the edges.

-MD

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom