davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I'm racing h/s's on the east coast, looking for a new front tire. I'm currently running 756's front and back, happy with the back tire. Not crazy about the front in the rocks when it's wet and slimey out. Has anyone tried the new D742, also thinking about the 773 or MT44 Pirelli. Any advice would be apreciated.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
The Michelin S12 works great when things are wet and slimy. When I know rocks will be there, I run around 14.5 lbs up front & 11 rear. Also, I run moose heavy duty tubes with slime inside.
The 756's are not too good in mud, IMO.

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
A Michelin S12 front and S12 rear combo works very well in the Ohio mud. When it gets dry, I switch to an M12 front / S12 rear and that works very well also. I've tried several other brands but I haven't found anything close to the Michelin's. It is by far the most popular tire choice at the local H/S and Enduro's.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Thanks for the responses, I was orginally considering the S12. But I read a few post in the archives, some people said they are more prone to pinch flats than the Dunlops. Anyone here have any problems with them in rocks?

x2fast

Oct 1, 2003
I am also an east coast rider....racing in D7 harescrambles and GNCC.

I like Pirelli, especially for the conditions we face. MT44 front and MT32 rear

The MT44 really hooks well in the mud and has excellent grip on the rocks

Seriously give them a look

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I've just about used up my first MT44 on the front, and another one will be going back on. Works really well in the rock pile known as Missouri, and in mud & slime it's great. Only place I don't like it is in the dry powdery loose soil, kind of like talcum powder with marbles mixed in; but then I'm not sure if anything works well in those conditions.

As far as Michelin's, I've never run them but have heard they are not real rock friendly.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Thanks guys, x2fast were you at Tomahawk Sunday? For some reason a lot of people didn't showup. I'm leaning towards the MT44 or D742, thanks for your advice.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I've had S12's on my and my son's bike. They lose knobs easier than the Dunlops we've had, and I took them off when I got pinch flats; no surpirse as they are a lighter-weight tire and have no shoulders to speak of.

The rears last and last w/o the chunking of the front.

On the other side of the coin the Dunlops wear too fast.

x2fast

Oct 1, 2003
I was not at Tomahawk on Sunday....but I was the one who laid out the track.
We were disappointed with the turnout.

Do you think it is too hard of a track?

We have not had a good turnout with any of the D7 races, but we had a great turnout for a PK outlaw series race.

We probably won't have many harescrambles next year.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
S12's work well but round fast and chunk when the rocks get sharp. Another good tire that has suprised us is the Bridgestone 401(int) / 201(soft). These have been very very good for us this year. Even on my ole 99 300 mxc the 201 works better than a s12 up front.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I really like the Dunlop 755. I am running that tire on my RMX 250 and it digs when it hit mud and slime so to speek.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
It would be sad if Tomahawk quit having Hare Scrambles. I rode Foot of the Mountain Sunday and they only had 90 enteries total including ATVs, minis, and bikes. Then to split the crowds even more on the same day you had Pine Barrons Enduro and a GNCC in Ohio. This year has been a washout with all of the rain, I rode the D7/ECEA Hare Scrambles at Tomahawk in August and I loved the course on lap one. Then the rain came and man did it get slick but I'll be back.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
x2fast, the course was definitely challenging. I probably hit the ground 4/5 times. But it was no harder then the snowball, and your staff did a better job putting on the event. I definitely missed the mx track, the track gives you a chance to shake out your arms and catch your breath. Foot of the Mountain didn't have big turnouts either this year. Imagine that, there course is very similar to Tomahawk. Maybe you could draw more people by doing a D7/D6 race on the same day, like Foot of the Mountain.
I think I'm going to order Pirelli M44 this weekend and try it out, thanks for everyones input.

x2fast

Oct 1, 2003
We will probably make the harescramble track a little more open and take some of the off cambers out to make it more accomadating for everybody.

It just seems like there is alot of complaining and less people are showing up because it is too hard.
We didn't use much of the MX track this time because we had a bunch of work to do on it back around the pond....before the DNR shuts us down.

GO FOR THE PIRELLIS!

Top Bottom