elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Hello all. I have a 2005 kx250 with stock suspension, I love everything about it except the front end seems to push through the turns. I tend to over shoot the corners now which I use to be able to carve with my 1995 kx250. What can I do to fix this? I have played with the clickers but has not made that much difference. One thing I will say is the front forks are quite a bit more stiff than the 1995 I use to have, but that is a good thing because I am about 215 lbs. The bike does not bottom out on jumps like the old one did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
have you tryed just sitting more forward on the bike it really helps a lot if you need more try raising your forks in the clamps

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Forks are all the way up, I am 6'4" so I have it as high is it can go. I do notce if I sit way up ( croch on the gas cap ) it helps but then I have no traction comming out of the corners, plus it is very uncomfortable for the nads. My old bike was not this way, what is wrong with this thing, what can I do to make it better?

Charlie Mix

Feb 7, 2007
You need to keep the front lower, so :

- sit on the gas tank and keep elbows high during the turns and shift back when you turn the trottle open.
- Set up your rear race sag to 95 mm.
- Keep your fork compression damper slightly softer (try open 2-3 clicks)

To have more traction to the rear wheel you need to revalve the shock.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
elcamino12sec said:
Forks are all the way up, I am 6'4" so I have it as high is it can go.
You mean you have the caps flush with the upper clamp? Try moving the tubes up in the clamp so that 5-10mm is exposed.

Make sure your rear sag is set correctly. Too much sag will cause front end push.

Make sure your tire choice and pressure fits what you are riding. I've seen someone complain about front end pushing before, and it turned out they were running 20 psi. Depending on the particular tire (some are stiffer than others) and the terrain, 10-14 psi is all you need.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Yes, the forks caps are flush in the clamp, I am 220lbs so I have the rear spring (stock) adjusted almost at tight as it will go. Really, the bike will not carve in turns nearly as well as my 10 year old kx. I will raise the forks maybe about an inch sticking out of the clamp and try to ride it this weekend but for some reason I am thinking this may not be the answer, any thing else I can try?

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
oh, and before I even rode the bike I swaped tires with my older bike, they were brand new Dunlops so I did not want to give those away with the sale of the 1995, so the tires are the same.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Gidday fella, I have the 06 KX250 and I had to upgrade to a heavier spring and I'm only about 200Lbs plus gear. Without it the bike will "chopper" and ride low at the back which rakes the forks out and makes them push in corners.

if you got a heavier spring and set up the rear properly the geometry would improve tons. Also lifting the froks in the clamps doesn't affect your travel at all, just the steering geometry... I'd lower it down in front a bit and get the heavy rear spring, then see how you go!!

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
cool, thanks for all that replied, I used this site's spring rate calculator to see which springs to use and it recomended the stock front and one size stiffer rear. As I am told these bikes roll off assembly for a 160lb average rider. If that is so than why does it recomend only one size larger in only the rear? I would not mind putting money in the suspension to make the bike work for me, however I am only riding for pleasure and not mx. Its just a weekend hobby for me so I dont want or need super expensive suspension work. What would you recomend?

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Gidday fella, to be honest the suspension won't work at it's best until you get springs that can hold the bike up in the travel where the manufacturer designed it to be for the 160lb guys.

But if you don't want to spend the bucks, you have to remember that with your particular weight on the suspension the bike will sink down to the point where the damping is getting harder, when it should (in a perfect world) still be quite lively and light. This will make it thump a little through the bars and can make even small bumps feel harsh... know what I mean?

Having said that, it probably feels fine to ride now, but if you can sort the springs / oil level thing.. it could feel awesome!

Also if you feel like selling it I say flag it and let the next owner worry about it. But that means your next bike might need the same sort of work?!

How much are springs over there? Couple of hundred?

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Going into the corner leave the rear brakes alone for a few laps using the front to slow down entering the turn, this will improve cornering + with the bike in the leaning possission move your butt to the top of the seat corner, lean forward and put weight on the high side foot peg. My clickers are out 12 clicks, this is also with a fresh fork rebuild.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Ok,this bike is still new to me, the front end seems real stiff, I am thinking that this may be my issue, I have a feeling the fork oil may be higher than is should. I suppose that changing it and replacing it with the correct amount of oil will not hurt anything. Question is, do I have to disassemble the forks to do this? Can I let them drain up side down for 24 hours and then refill with the correct amount of oil? I have never worked on upside down forks before so sorry if this seems like a lame question, all your help has been greatly appreciated!

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Yeah man, oil is cheap and fresh oil will make the forks feel (and work) much better. Experimnet with the oil levels too. From what I've read the level affects the final part of the travel only (especially bottoming resistance) so your problem may be elsewhere.

I find my 06 has a tendency to push a little unless I'm really aggressive. In fact I find the front actually slides quite a lot compared to other bikes I've ridden but once you get used to the feeling you can get it around corners pretty well!

Me and James S.... we're like twins! ;) :think:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Get the proper springs for your weight, set your sag, then go try it again. You may be surprised.

If you never changed the stock fork springs on the 1995 KX250, then I bet you got a LOT of downforce on the front end.

Top Bottom