fuel overflow

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
When I stop my 200 (kickstand) with a fairly full tank, gas pours out the drain tubes (quiet a bit of gas). Is this normal? Thanks.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I don't think so, although this is happening to me now too. However, my carbeurators were filfthy, so I dis-assembled them and cleaned everything really really well and I hope it stops leaking gas everywhere.
The reason I dont think this is normal is because my bike never did it before, just after sitting outside for about a year :(

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Well my bike is 2 weeks old..... Seems only to do it when the tank is full, so I thought that might be the cause????????????

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Fuel running through the drain tube while the bike is upright, or on the kick stand, is usually an indication of carb floats that are out of spec. Check the FAQ for more info.

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
If your bike isn't on pretty much level ground when you have it on the kickstand, fuel will leak out of the float bowl. This is normal for the KDX. You don't notice this on a MX bike because there is no kickstand to lean them over on. My best advice is to cut off your fuel petcock when you plan to park your bike for a while on an uneven surface. If it's leaking out on leven ground then you float may be out of adjustment or stuck.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Mine did the same thing and the problem was the carb was tilted a little bit and not in the notch in the boot.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Setting the float a tad low (say 17mm) will help a considerable bit (that's the 'H' model spec).

Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Like someone else mentioned, check to see that the carb is sitting level. Just loosen the two screws on each side, and re-position the carb.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Mine has been doing that lately too. It doesn't do it all the time though. After a really rough rocky section it may do it. I just turn the petcock to off when I stop.

powercart

Mar 29, 2002
My kdx is doing that too??? And let me tell you gas is to expensive to be leaking all over the ground, at a buck a litre for 94 octane, and 17 bucks a litre for oil, it adds up :(

martian

Mar 26, 2003
Sometimes a speck of dirt will get between the float valve seat and cause that problem! A quick fix is to turn off the fuel petcock and drain the carb bowl at the bottom, you don't even need to take the carb off the bike.Turn the fuel petcock on and allow a little gas to wash out the bowl. Re install the plug and turn on the fuel petcock.
Draining the bowl allows the float valve to completely open and when you let some fuel run through it, it washes the grit out of the float valve seat.
Just brought my 03 200 home and it had crud in it. This fixed mine.

Chris

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…