Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Here's the story.. In Canada, apparently we can only get the EC models from GasGas. They are imported directly from Spain, not through the USA like our KTMs are.

I'm a MXer, and would really prefer the MCO250 but if it's not available, I'd consider taking an ECO250 and converting it.

Basically, what's the difference between the two bikes? The ECO250 I was looking at today had the headlight/tail light, stator (of course), S12 (DOT-approved) front/rear rubber, 18" rear wheel, Messico pipe/silencer (long one, no spark arrestor), kick stand, Ohlins forks/shock, horn/display panel/etc. electronics.

The 18" rear wheel isn't a big deal to me, nor is the suspension since I'm a big guy and would need suspension mods on the MC250 anyways.

I'm concerned about the motor being too tame for MX use, plus anything else that I'm not thinking about. If anyone can give me the scoop on the differences between the '02 EC250 and the '02 MC250, or even the '02 XC250 (definitely not available to Canada) I'd like to see how much more the bike would cost me to get it set up, from the initial purchase.

I ride MX mostly, some trails, I don't need a lighting coil or any of that junk so it sucks that I am forced to buy all of that stuff with it.. But if the bike can be converted fairly easily, I may be interested.

My ideal bike would be the MC250, with the Ohlins forks.. Presuming that they dumped the 4 speed and made it a 5 speed now.

Cam

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Cam,

I have a true EC200 that is fun on the track but would require some considerable work to make it better (revalve front and back, remove flywheel). I'm considering a used '00MC250 (6-speed) and have the bike for the weekend to demo. I was rained out yesterday but will be going to the track today. Another DRNer (Sharp) will have his '01XC250 there, so I'll try to ride them back to back and see the difference.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Here's the story.. In Canada, apparently we can only get the EC models from GasGas. They are imported directly from Spain, not through the USA like our KTMs are.

If I were you I would call the importer (Don Clarke @ Mountain Motorcycles in Vancouver, B.C.) and talk to him about importing the MC in for you and to see if you can order it with a more than four speed tranny. It took about 4 weeks to get my ECO last year after custom ordering it (they air freighted it over...)

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
My Sponsors
www.smackovermotorsports.com The GasGas Parts Warehouse
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Accessories and Services

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I actually spoke with Don at the motorcycle show a month ago, he was the first one I heard from that we can only get the EC models.

At the dealer I was visiting yesterday, he informed me that it woudl be about 4 weeks to order an ECO250 from Spain. I figure maybe if he's ordering it from spain he can get the MC250 also.. But not by the sounds of it. I'm not sure why.

Cam

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Well the '00MC250 was a blast at the track today. Lots of power and the suspenders (front and back) were great (Pro-action revalve). If the price is right, I'll add a 3rd GG to my fleet:cool:

I rode Sharp's '01XC250 to compare. Sharp had his suspenders revalved by the same guy, but I found them to springy they way they were set (I was bouncing on the landing). Sharp also has a 10oz flywheel weight for trail riding so that slowed it in comparison to the MC. I would really need to ride his bike without the flywheel to give you a yes or no relative to the MC (he plans on pulling it the next time he heads to the track). The XC had abundant pull once you got it going. And no, I really wouldn't want to ride the MC (as it was setup today) on nasty single track.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
So, aside from the suspension, is the EC250 capable of being a moto weapon?
Or is it 'too woodsy' to be any good on the track?

Cam

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The current EC250 has undergone a few changes since it was originally developed, with the help of Paul Edmonson, back in '96. The biggest changes have probably been in the suspension and balancing of the crankshaft as the counterbalancer is no longer used. You have to remember that European Enduros are basically natural terrain MX races connected by sections of trail.

Still I think a true EC is not the best choice for MX due to the soft suspension, heavier flywheel/ignition and lower compression engine. My local dealer races MX on a GG XC300. Currently his only change has been the suspension, but he plans on removing the reed block spacer and shortening the silencer by seven inches.

Top Bottom