clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Not sure if this has been asked before. A search didn't turn up what I was looking for.
Are there any ill effects from running gas that contains 10% ethanol? Most of the gas we get from around here is rated at 91 for the extra premium. There are only a handful of stations around here that carry 93, and the gas that contains ethanol is 95. Just curious if the ethanol is detrimental to my kdx or not.

MDA

May 27, 2002
Hmm,

I am going on memory here, but I am pretty sure that my manual did not recomend using ethanol blends in my KDX. Why? I don't know.

Either way, unless you have some serious mods on your bike (i.e. porting), 91 pump gas should be fine. Never seems to cause a problem in mine.

-Mark-

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I'd say run what ever non ethanol gas you can find, adding oil to gas does raise the octane level...... If you experience pinging..etc you may have to seek out better fuel.

I would aviod running any ethanol blend, pump gas in general is not as consistant as race fuel. Race fuel seemed crazy to me, except when i concidered the fact that i don't use that much anyways....

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Do not run ethanol blends in your KDX. Some of the technos will give you the reasons from a scientific point of view, but the main one is that oil (the lubrication for your motor) is not equally soluble in alcohol as gasoline. Add that to the fact that alcohol attracts water: why by trouble and potential disaster?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
" light bulb!!! " That's why you don't use ethanol...... It attracts water... I knew there was a legitimate reason...... Anyways.. If you are totally stuck, I think race gas even though it's like $5/ galllon you don't use that much gas..... and you want to try to use up everything as it's mixed....

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
It only takes a couple of teaspoons of water to pull that 10% alcohol out of the gas and it won't have oil with it either. It can be a main cause of engine seize for sure.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom