Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
I was installing my "new" gas tank I got from eBay tonite, and I ran into a little problem. The tank was listed as fitting an 87-90 YZ250. Mine is an 89. On the Clarke site they list thier replacement tanks as fitting from 88-92. My tank does'nt fit %100, so I'm guessing it's for an 87, which is no troble because it's just a fun bike. The only problem with the fitment is the rubber strap at the base of the tank, and the clip that holds the seat are different enough not to make them fit. I "fabricated" a rubber strap (bungee) to hold the tank, and it holds it just fine. I removed the metal clip from the seat so it does'nt dig a hole in the tank. My question is based on the radiator shrouds. I can only match up one screw to hold the right side to the tank. Neither screw matches on the left side. Are the shrouds needed for more than just appearance? Like I saqid, this is just a fun bike to get out and ride with family, so if it looks a bit like an ugle duckling, all the better.... :laugh:

I just don't want to cause any damage to the radiators, or cause any over heating if i take off the shrouds....Thanks...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They pull air into the radiators. It's also not a very good idea to leave the front of the seat unsecured.

Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
The clip where the seat attaches to the frame is still holding the seat. It's only the clip at the very front of the seat that i took off. It's only about the front 1/4 of the seat that's affected. I'm tall enough that I'm never up on the tank part of the seat anyway...

I'll find a way to mod the shrouds so I can scew them down.....good thing I have extras....hehe

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Riding in the woods, with no shrouds? Sure sounds like it will overheat to me. Unsecured, they will be moving, flapping, and could wear a hole in something, hoses and even your aluminum radiator can get worn through given enough rubbing.

Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
Yes....that's what I was thinking too. I just was'nt sure how much the shrouds effected cooling. Both are securelyattached now. The guy I bought the bike from gave me 7 extra shrouds he had with the bike. I found 2 that were in a bit better shape than what was on it and drilled holes in the right places to hold them to the attachment points on the tank. It looks a bit odd, but for what I use this bike for it works just fine. I'm going to see if I can mod the seat some so I can reinstall the clip that holds the front of the seat to th top of the tank...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom