200 exc gear oil.been running atf lately and after two
clutches this year,I am wondering if 10w40 motor oil
would be better to still keep the cost down.Anyone
running motor oil in their ktm?
Thanks for any and all responses.
overbore.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I've been using Bel Ray 75 wt gear oil in my KTM's since, '89, never had a problem. (I run 125's)
I do use Dextron III in the winter, (when it drops below 40 degrees) to help it shift right.
I dunno if I'd use motor oil, it may not work well with the clutches.
Motor oil is designed to cushion between metal parts, (piston bearings, cam, bearings, etc)
Trans oil and 2 smoke oil is designed to cushion gears, but also help with the fiber clutches.
As for your clutch problems.
1. Are they fully engaging, (no play in the cable or master cylinder, (you can take the oil plug out and lookie-see in there)
2.Are the springs cooked??? No pressure/weak pressure against the plates wil cause them to slip.
3. How often do you replace the oil?
If your riding style is "clutch happy" them your clutch life will be short.
Try a heavy duty clutch package if that's the case.
Joe :ride:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The reason the clutches wear quick(assuming its like the 125) is the alloy plates-they will wear no matter what oil, best to use steel plates instead i hear the CR125 ones fit.

RIGG

Sep 8, 2004
Steel plates polish up and thats why the factory/racers dont use them.Alloy grips an in turn wears out but offer the best performance.I think honda plates fit and they last ages. I know KTM riders / pro team mechanics who say problems with the hydraulic clutch causes the plates to wear fast .

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
change oil every other ride and after every race my son rides,so thats not it.He is hard on a
clutch with the 200.yes I make sure that its not slipping because of adjustments.Just wanted to
know that regular 10/40 was ok or if anyone else was running it,instead of atf which I have not
had to good a luck with lately.
overbore.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
As far as I know atf helps the clutch grip better than regular oil..imo clutches dont wear out because of the oil your using, but wear depends on how much you slip it.10w 40 is just fine as long as its not the stuff made for cars.

Top Bottom