pradami

Sep 1, 2006
So my girlfriends brother got a dirtbike for Chirstmas this year. He seems to have taken a liking to the sport since i started talking about it all the time. well the kid is 8 years old but is kinda chubby, and he got a brand new KX110 (the kid is spoiled to death). His mom asked me what kind of gear he should get and i suggested that he get some pants and a jersey and some gloves. (Helmet is a given) :cool: For the boot end i suggested to just goto the nearest department store to buy some work boots with a high ankle support. Is this ok for now? I figured that he didn't need 100s of dollars worth of boots when he is going to just keep growing like crazy, so should i tell his mom to stick with the work boots or to go out and buy some MX boots?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
It really depends on the kind of riding he'll be doing. But IMO, the basic minimum riding gear includes boots and helmet, maybe gloves. Jersey and pants are not mandatory.

Rocky Mtn. sells ARC boots for about $80. Could save a few stitches on the leg. A great pair of work boots are better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as riding boots. Especially when you are learnging to ride and falling a lot.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The work boots may be OK for a while, but when it comes to the kids, you shouldn't take chances. Where he will be riding does play a role, if he is riding woods with you, then he could easily hit a rock or some peice of local plantlife. If he is on an MX track, then the risk of falling and having the bike land on his leg increases. Alpinestars Tech4S run about $105, and there are cheaper MX boots out there. If they are bought a couple of sizes big, they can last a couple of years. Basically, I am for spending as much as you can afford to protect your children in the best way possible. The boots are more important than the pants, pants to provide some abrasion protection, but nothing for impact. The jersey isn't that important at all. Knee and elbow pads, a CP, and neck roll (he won't grow out of these anytime soon) are also more important than the pants and jersey.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If the parents don't mind shelling out for a brand new bike they shouldn't balk at the safety equipment. For your sake it would be MUCH better to error on the safe side. If the kid breaks his ankle wearing work boots and the doctor tells the mom he should have been wearing proper motorcycle boots his mom is NOT going to like you!

If I was you I would recommend the following in order of importance:

Helmet
goggles
boots
chest protector
neck protector
Gloves
pants
knee pads
elbow pads

While the pants can actually protect the skin from abrasion the jersey is more "bling". I am guessing that mom will move it high on the list though, she wants her little boy to look good!

If money is any issue used boots can be found without too much trouble. Kids outgrow boots way before they are worn out.

I put the gloves kind of far down the list because the hands are tough and you will most likely recover from whatever the gloves might have saved you from. For my own use, however, the gloves are second behind the helmet. Even when I don't fall I manage to whack my handlebars on bushes as I go by. Without gloves I get back to camp and my knuckles are all bleeding....

Rod

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
If I was you I would recommend the following in order of importance:

Helmet
goggles
boots
chest protector
neck protector
Gloves
pants
knee pads
elbow pads
I disagree a little, I believe that impact protection is more important that abrasion resistance. Gloves and pants should be moved below the hard pads. I'm also not sure that goggles should be so high, but I'll not argue it.

pradami

Sep 1, 2006
well thanks for all the input guys. The mom is the kind of mom that doesn't really know anything about the sport, thats where im trying to educate her. Shes all about looks and stuff, thats why i knew she would wanna buy that stuff. I forgot to put the type of place he is going to be riding in. As of now and for the next year or so he will just be riding on the lawn, so trees, bushes, rocks, aren't a problem, just sliipping on the slick grass. Its good to hear that there are boots out there that aren't like $250 starting out like mine. I thought he was going to have to get $150 boots that would only last around a year, but now $80 doesn't sound so bad.

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Here's what I'm seeing happen with boots. People are paying almost new prices for slightly used kids boots on that auction site :nod: . So you lay down the cash on a set of boots, when it comes time for bigger boots, auction the ones he's outgrown and get the next size up. You should be able to keep getting most of your money back.
watch for yourself. I haven't found a good deal in weeks. So I'm off to buy my 3year old a brand new pair of boots.

Mar 16, 2007
FruDaddy said:
I disagree a little, I believe that impact protection is more important that abrasion resistance. Gloves and pants should be moved below the hard pads. I'm also not sure that goggles should be so high, but I'll not argue it.

helmet amd goggles
boots
neck protection
knee brace
elbow/knee pads
chest protector
gloves
pants
jersey

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom