brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Buying my first bike and need some basic gear with out spending too much money. I can always upgrade in the future.

I have knee pads and elbow pads but I believe I need:
boots
gloves
chest/back thing
helmet
ass pad LOL

what do you recommend

Jim

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Spend less on the bike and more on protective gear starting with the best helmet you can get. If you or a family member has a cheap head then put a cheap helmet on it if not think of it as the only barrier between you/them and a lifetime of assisted care.... or worse.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Goggles. Have to have goggles

The "chest / back thing" is a chest protector, or sometimes called a roost protector. Very highly recommended. A cheap one works pretty well for casual riding. When I race I prefer to wear an integrated "body armor" that combines the chest protector with the elbow guards. I will also wear it when it is cold because it also provides warmth and breathes fairly well.

The padded shorts don't protect your ass, they protect your hips and thighs. I don't care how hot it is I wear mine, saves my body a lot.

Riding pants are a really good idea. More than just style, riding pants will hold up to the abuse when you fall much better than jeans. Most also have additional padding at key spots, such as the hips.

Long sleeve riding jerseys are mostly style but do have a small value. Long sleeve for sun protection. They will hold up a little better than T-shirt material and don't hold the dirt quite as bad.

Unless you are only riding track I recommend a hydration pack.

Hand guards on the bike are highly recommended.

Rod

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I pretty much agree with Rod, except my shorts either chafe my outer leg or inner thigh, depending on which pair I wear. I am currently trying to decide if the guaranteed discomfort is better or worse that the potential injury. Imagine the type of crash that you may have and protect the parts of the body that you feel are most important first, protect the rest as you can. Remember, never dress for the ride, dress for the wreck. I'm surprised that nobody has even mentioned a neck brace yet (expensive? yes, but the EVS is under $200), even a neck roll is better than nothing.

Top Bottom