crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
I understand gear is an important part of riding but i was wondering what gear is the most important.

I would think a helmet is first but i see you can get chest pads and boots.

gracey

Feb 1, 2008
This was the order we bought:
Helmets, goggles, gloves, hardshell roost protectors, neck rolls, workboots which were upgraded to "real" boots (mx). Next on our list is upgrading to Leatt braces.

Personally, although costly, I'd say those items are mandatory to acquire if you are going to do this sport regularly.

We also have elbow guards and knee pads and rollerblade shorts that we can wear under our pants...Stuff we've borrowed from other sports, although their use tends to still be intermittent with us. I can barely move with too much stuff on, but, boy, when you fall it is so worth having something between you and the bike. Easier to just get up and go and not deal with a bruise cut or otherwise that will last forever.

Somebody gave me a kidney belt, but we don't do the kind of stuff that would benefit me from its use, just yet. A lot of guys who are more aggressive than we are use them. Goggles mandatory for the track. I've ridden in the woods with only sunglasses.....

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Like gracey said, it's nice to be able to get up after a fall and not be all beat up..

I have a decent pair of boots, chest protector, neck brace (evs), and a good fitting helmet. I also have a good stock of gloves. I like to keep 3 or 4 clean pairs of gloves in my bag, incase they get muddy or wet. Good goggles with an assortment of different lenses for different conditions.

I also wear compression shorts. Helps to keep all the parts from moving around!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would not get on a bike without helmet and boots.

The helmet should be obvious.

Boots are essential because your feet/ankles will take a beating without them. Even without crashing you might put a foot down in a turn. A good boot with steel toe protector will allow you to plow a ditch! If you put a tennish shoe down and kick a rock at 30 MPH you are going to have some seriously hurt toes. The next most likely injury would be to twist an ankle. Having some heavy leather between you and the bike and between you and the ground really helps out when you crash and your leg ends up on the bottom. You also tend to bounce off rocks and trees at boot level.

Wear boots!

When I started riding I quickly added gloves to my gear because I was always coming back with bleeding knuckles or skinned palms. When you fall, you put your hand out, and it takes a beating. Your hands are holding onto the widest part of the bike, so any branch that you get a little too close to raps your knuckles really good!

My chest protector has saved me more times than I can count. The rocks kicked up by the bike in front of you can really hurt when they hit you square in the chest, but where the protector really helps out is when you loop the bike climbing a hill and you fall flat on your back onto sharp, jagged rocks.

After the first time I went over the handlebars I added knee pads to my gear. I can point to some deep gashes in my knee guards as proof that they have helped me out.

I kept adding to the gear as the chinks in my armor were made obvious. I now have hip and thigh pads and elbow guards. I haven't fallen on my ass yet, and I am not sure how I would protect that......

You're young and heal quickly so it may not be as big of an issue for you. Banging my legs up leaves me hobbling around for a week or more these days. But get the boots, compound fractures of the ankle take a long time to heal even when you are young.

Rod

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
IndyMX said:
Like gracey said, it's nice to be able to get up after a fall and not be all beat up..

I have a decent pair of boots, chest protector, neck brace (evs), and a good fitting helmet. I also have a good stock of gloves. I like to keep 3 or 4 clean pairs of gloves in my bag, incase they get muddy or wet. Good goggles with an assortment of different lenses for different conditions.

Well said. if you have the extra money a set of knee braces would be nice. I always thought the other guy was weak and that's why his knee got tweaked...

Turns out not to be the case. I tore my ACL in 1999 and you won't find me on a bike without braces ever again. It was the worst freaking pain I've ever been exposed to in my life.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
IndyMX said:
:cool: Maybe not the 1st on the list...but most definitely vital! Helps with monkey butt too. Sorry if that was TMI....

Helmet/Goggles
Leatt
Boots
Kidney belt
Knee Pads
then everything else....

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
tony91 said:
:cool: Maybe not the 1st on the list...but most definitely vital! Helps with monkey butt too. Sorry if that was TMI....

Fixing monkey butt was an unexpected pleasant side effect.. Keepin the boyz in place was the goal. Nothing like landing a jump and rackin yourself due to a loose condition.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
If you are new to riding dirtbikes, it is best to start out in first gear.After your grin goes away you are ready for second gear.When that grin goes away you are ready for third gear.And so on.You hit nirvana :laugh: :yikes: when outright terror exists alongside a huge grin.A big crash brings you back to the first gear cycle all over again.Welcome to dirtbiking!!!

lorenzato

Feb 15, 2008
Hi, I have a little question for my leatt brace GPX model.I would know if it's possible to change black foam with white foam?
If it's possible, how costs it and where I can find it?
Thank you

Top Bottom