KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
Ok, me and a few friends have bush hogged a field and then took a john deere mower out there and got the grass down to about a half inch. Its about a half mile long with 2hairpins, and 4 90 degree turns. We have it marked off with little flags and it looks really trick because we took ALONG time getting the width and straightaways just perfect. Now my question is how do i get the grass to dirt??? we have about 1.5 feet of topsoil under the grass before we hit clay, and we really dont have access to dirt we can "buy" persay. I am just curious as to what some of you guys have done to get your track to dirt. We haven't started any jumps yet, but as soon as we get some concrete sewer pipes we are gonan start making some jumps i think.

KaTMandoo

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You could use Roundup herbicide. Just mix it and spray where you are going to want dirt. Then ride the heck out of it. IMHO...I would just till the turns and the whoops up. Leave the rest grass. Much less dust to worry about. Jumps that are covered in maintained grass are much better than one would think. They don't have to be groomed as often either. Grass is FULL of traction too. One can really rip on short grass, till it gets wet:eek:
If you ride on it alot, it won't matter what you do...you'll have dirt soon.
Consider having a couple of loads of sand brought in for one turn.

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
thx for the ideas guys, keep em coming! Im considering leaving straightaways grass and dumping dirt/sand in the berms.

thx
KaTMandoo

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Just ride on it, tell your friends not to ride the same line for a little while - ride the whole width, it will definately turn to dirt. If anything, just rip up the turns,whoops...

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
Yah I think we have decided to dump sand/dirt in the berms and just leave the rest grass and keep it mowed as necessary.

Now on to the next idea....as far as building jumps go, our idea was to get those 3' diameter concrete sewer pipes and put dirt on top of those to build jumps. Anyone else have any better/easier ideas? BTW we will be renting a bobcat or such to do the dirt dumping.

KaTMandoo

Top Bottom