Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
ok, i got the tire off the rim,,, now, how do i get it back on. i have a manual, but it has steps that are confusing..
does the rim lock go under the rim strip? or the rim strip under the lock?

also, at what point do i put the tube inside the tire? I tried to put it in after i got the whole bead over the rim, but that didnt seem to cool when i was trying to put the valve in its hole, and the tub was hard to stuff in and it seemed crooked... man, if i had only known, i'd sent my tire to a pro...

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Rim strip goes under rim lock .
Reinstall the tube after putting the first bead on the rim , use lots of baby powder as a sort of dry lube to help the tube inflate with out binding . Getting the stem thru the hole in the rim is tuff . I find that removeing the valve from the stem and then using a small screwdiver pushed thru the rim hole and into the stem as a guide helps out . Use plenty of soapy water ( 75% dish soap to 25% water ) as lube on the second bead . Make sure that stem nut is installed and rim lock nut is as loose as possible . Work tire on to rim starting at rim lock and work your way around . Tire should go on easy but for the last 7 or 8 inches . standing or kneeling on parts of the tire that are on , helps to push the bead into the center of the rim chanel haveing the efect of making the rim smaller thus making it easier to install the last few inches .

The more tires you change , the easier it gets . I hope this helps .

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
well,i got it back on,, the hard part was dealing with the rim locks, kinda tricky there. and it took three hand to work the tire around on the tube..
If anyone who is reading this is about to get new tires,, just let the dealer do it...

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Nevada Sixx
If anyone who is reading this is about to get new tires,, just let the dealer do it...
The dealer can kiss my lilly white @$$. Besides I have tires drop-shipped to my house.

Just to add to dirtybkr's reply. Pitch the rim strip and use two layers of duct tape the same width. Put the rim lock on first, before the tire, and cinch it down. Once you get the first bead onto the rim lift that bead over the opposite side, loosen the rim lock and then bring the bead back over underneath the rim lock. I have another secret for getting the tube stem through the hole in the rim.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I prefer to put the tube inside the tire before putting either bead over the rim. Add just a little bit of air to give it shape and it'll also help keep it away from the rim and your tire irons. I am pretty sure that was the way Jeff showed us at DW and its been a huge timesaver for me and I actually enjoy doing tires now.

mach1

Oct 17, 2000
I'm with TTRGuy. Put the tube in first, partially inflated, then put the valve stem through the rim hole. Put the stem nut on loosely to keep the stem in place. Like Woodsrider said, put the rim lock on and tighten it down to get it out of the way. Place the wheel sprocket-side up. Pry the bead over the rim with the first iron and lock the iron under the sprocket. This keeps the first iron and the bead in place while you work it the rest of the way on. I've found it "easy" to get the tire over the rim lock as long as you make sure the rest of the bead is pushed into the center of the rim to give as much slack as possible. I do this by kneeling on it and rolling it in with my bloody, swollen hands. When you have the first bead over the rim lock, loosen the lock and push it up to allow both beads to get under it. When the tire is on, fill it with air to seat the beads. Make sure the bead seats evenly all the way around. This sometimes takes alot of pressure. Let ALL the air out to relax the tube inside and fill it to the proper pressure. Done. Oh yeah, it helps ALOT to have three irons.

Top Bottom