SicAir

Jan 3, 2002
Hi Bundu Basher,
the Pampera is supposed to land here end of March or April. I am quite keen on it as it sounds like it would fit the type of trail riding I will be doing. The Gas Gas Enduro bikes are too tall for me. I like the low down grunt of a four stroke but from the sounds of the Pampera it also has a good bottom end with the added benefits of decent suspension, disc brakes, lightweight and reasonably low seat height. I'm 5'5'' and like to reach the ground if necessary. I am heading off for 3 days of trail riding again shortly and am taking an XR 100 (which did the job last time but was just too small, underpowered and kept bottoming out front and rear) and an XR 200. The 200 should give me a feel for the seat height of the Pampera but the XR is a heavier bike. The trails I ride are on a 2,000 acre sheep property and are 2nd/3rd gear type trails, sometimes smooth, other times rocky/trees roots etc.and some steep loose rocky gullies thrown in just for fun.

Unfortunately I don't think my dealer will have a demo which makes it hard to get a feel for the bike, which is why I am trying to get as much feedback as possible. If the Pampera is still a bit high for me is the rear suspension adjustable to lower it slightly? Any more info you can pass on to me would be appreciated. Email me at ann@cwsa.com

I want to ride as much as possible but I can't keep borrowing bikes. If the Pampera doesn't arrive soon I'll have to buy something else, only other options seem to be the XR 200 or a TTR 125L. Does the Pampera have a decent top speed for odd occasions when on a country road between trails?

Thanks,

Ann

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Ann

Hang in there, I think a P250 out there has your name on it.

Heightwise, the Pampera is like a KX100, very similar, maybe a little shorter than the XR200. I think you will find that it fits you very well. If you get a TTR125 now and get to ride the P250 later, you will be really sorry. I think for what you ride, you will find this a great 'little' bike.

Alan

BTW, I had my P280 on order, had to put $1000 down just to get the local dealer to make the order, then it got delayed, and I waited 6 weeks I think before it arrived, basically bought it sight unseen - so far I am very happy with it.

SicAir

Jan 3, 2002
Yes, I'm trying to be patient. Easter holidays are coming up soon and I'd like to have my bike by then. I also ride a 1200 jet ski so I'll just have to keep playing on that while waiting for my bike :-)

Ann

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
I don't have all the specifics, but HGillian here on this forum added a lengthened lowering link to his wife's Pampera and that lowered it a couple of inches. So, it CAN be done. I just took some padding out of my seat and that lowered it and inch. However, I'm 4'10" and HGillian's wife is 5'0" so you probably won't need to do anything at your height. The Pampera is very narrow at the seat so seat height feels lower anyhow. BTW, I still don't touch the ground (I just deal with that), but the light weight makes the bike really easy to handle anyhow.

Ya know how the TTR125L and XR100 have smallish wheels? The Pampera has full sized wheels. That in itself makes it SO much easier to go over obstacles and handle whoops. As for top end, I think I can go around 60 mph. WAY better than I could do on the old TTR125L; not quite as fast as my hubby's DRZ400 flat out. 'Hope that info helps!

SicAir

Jan 3, 2002
Thanks CJ Rider, your reply helped a lot. Sounds like it will 'fit' just fine. How do you find the 2 stroke motor of the Pampera handles the REALLY rough stuff as compared to the 4 stroke TTR-L?

Ann

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
The REALLY rough stuff is MUCH easier on the Pampera. No contest. I think it's a combination of more power, full sized wheels, plenty of torque, better suspension, and (this is the the thing) better balance/ ergonomics. It's just easier to stand on the pegs like your supposed to through rough stuff on the Pampera because it's well balanced for doing that. The motor is actually a modified TXT trials bike motor so it's not like a typical 2-stroke enduro or mx'er. AK, if you were only closer, you could test ride mine!

SicAir

Jan 3, 2002
Thanks CJ,I'm sold on the Pampera now.I know exactly what you mean about feeling comfortable whilst standing. The smaller bikes feel all wrong when on the pegs. Is your bike stock or have you changed anything?
I wish I was closer too, would love to meet up for a ride. A

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Ann, come over to Auckland March 15 or early March 16. Then you can meet CJ (the bummer will be having to meet me too), and we can all go riding together. I'm not sure if our friend with the earlier Pampera will be coming to our camping weekend, but you'll be able to try out the KDX on farmland, along with a couple of older trials bikes. Send me your flight details & I'll pick you up (but can't after about 3.30pm Friday, so you'll either have to be earlier than that or on Saturday morning - around 8am will suit best).
Michelle

SicAir

Jan 3, 2002
WoW! Thanks for the invitation and kind offer. I would have enjoyed meeting you all. I was very tempted, believe me!
Unfortunately, since I decided on the Pampera I have to save pretty hard 'til it arrives. They are a lot more expensive here than the XR's and the KDX.
Also my 4y/old now wants a 50 quad so she can ride with her brother (6)on his XR 50.

Have a great w/end,
Ann

SicAir

Jan 3, 2002
Pampera

Couldn't wait any longer.......................Pampera still has no definite availability date here in Australia and the dealers had no info or couldn't be bothered to find out for me. I bought an 02 TTR 125 L the morning before I went away for 3 days of riding. It is not what I wanted but it will do the job until the Gas Gas dealers get their act together. Have two more riding holidays planned for the next month, one for 4 days and one for 5 days and had to have something to ride.

Thanks for all your help, will let you know if/when I get the Pampera.

Ann

Top Bottom