GG - Travis Pastrana - Spoiler

truespode

Wheelie King
It's not over with but I was really impressed with TP's first move. Especially his attempt at a superman seat grab backflip (yes you read that right). Too bad he did not get it and ended up knocking himself out!

He did to a backflip transfer though which I thought was killer.

I'm not a big fan of FMX but I do like it when someone can push things to a new level and TP did that.

Ivan

Duneman

Subscriber
The big dummy blu it :| . Nate played it smart and rode smooth and flawless :thumb: .
I hope tp learns soon before it's too late :think: .

I saw that and when he crashed I saw him leaning over and not moving. I thought "oh he's just catching his breath". After all I'd need to catch my breath too after that. And then they said he was knocked out and i couldnt believe it. He gets concussions easier than anyone I know. Thats just amazing. It didnt look like he hit all that hard. He is definitly not a very good sponser for the shoei helmets.

I think TP shoulda won it. Sure he crashed, but he threw in backflip variations and he crashed trying something new. All Nate did was backflips, but i must say, he landed his flips perfectly.

Originally posted by 01HondaCR
And then they said he was knocked out and i couldnt believe it. He gets concussions easier than anyone I know.
The more (and more severe) concussions you've had, the easier you will get them.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Thanks for the link, Rat.

It's a depressing read for sure.  IMO Pastrana needs to do some deep thinking about what his future holds if he insists on staying on his current path.

truespode

Wheelie King
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
IMO Pastrana needs to do some deep thinking about what his future holds if he insists on staying on his current path.
Do you know how many other people say the same thing about US just b/c we ride dirtbikes? Show up with a sprained ankle one day and listen to the whispers around the water cooler.

Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

The guy is an adult and able to make his own decisions. I will not question or fault his decision in relation to his profession.

I still think he was STUPID for what he did in the vette and hope that he takes care of his injured passenger. I like TP but realize that was one of the stupidest things anyone could ever do (even though I've done stupid things in a car too - the only thing that means is that I was stupid too).

Other than that if he wants to flip, knock himself out or get decapitated by the rear wheel of James Stewart whipping it over a triple I could care less. His choice to do what he wants until he can't do it anymore. I have seen people I love do far more damage to themselves just sitting around the house drinking all the time. At least TP is enjoying life and living it to what he thinks is the fullest.

Ivan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
I disagree, Ivan. There's a difference between a sprained ankle and a concussion. A guy has to think about his future, and maybe the AMA needs a concussion rule. It boggled my mind yesterday when I heard of a player who may not be able to suit up this week because he was on his tenth concussion! sheesh! After 2 or 3 you'd think you'd figure it out. Plus, they are progressively easier to get.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Pastrana race. I just wish it was his focus, and he rode a little smarter doing it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member

No double standard here.  Regardless of the profession or hobby, self destructive and/or accident prone persons should consider a lifestyle change if they are hurting themselves (and others) as frequently as Travis does.  

truespode

Wheelie King
Originally posted by XRpredator
I disagree, Ivan. There's a difference between a sprained ankle and a concussion. A guy has to think about his future, and maybe the AMA needs a concussion rule.
How does a concussion rule matter in this case? This was an FMX event and had nothing to do with the AMA. You are arguing apples to oranges. Also, his last concussion came as the result of a stupid car wreck that required surgery to relieve bleeding in the skull. He has gone longer between concussions in competition than Ryan Hughes has.

My point is that Travis is doing what he wants and what he loves to do. He is making money and (except for his stupid car incident) not hurting anyone else.

If he died in competition tomorrow I would feel sad but I would not feel that he should have lived life differently. He is able to enjoy what he is doing and that is something many other people are unable to do as they wallow away barely existing on the couch.

The only difference between Travis doing a superman seatgrab backflip and me spraining my ankle doing a wheelie is severity. I will still have lingering problems for years from motorcycle crashes and I have never broken a bone. His lingering problems will be more severe. It is up to him to decide if it is worth it.

Just b/c we would rather see his focus directed elsewhere is irrellevant. My Grandmother still wishes I'd focus more on writing but she supports my riding and racing and wants to read my ride reports more than anyone.

Ivan

truespode

Wheelie King
Originally posted by dirt bike dave

No double standard here.  Regardless of the profession or hobby, self destructive and/or accident prone persons should consider a lifestyle change if they are hurting themselves (and others) as frequently as Travis does.  

If they are hurting others I agree. What Travis did in the vette was inexcusable and stupid. I'm focusing on his choices in FMX, particularly his attempt to go for stuff nobody else thought of trying ever.

However, by your logic Robbie Reynard needs to quit racing? Mike Brown needs to retire (he has lost 2 chances at championships due to accidents). Mike Larrocco should also go bye-bye too? Let's not forget about Hughes either.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I am trying to prove a point.

Our desire to see someone safe from doing something that we seem stupid should hold no meaning whatsoever as long as that person is not injuring another person. Like I said, the only difference is severity and quite posibility our bias towards what we deem as being safe versus what actually is unsafe (like I said, those that don't ride don't understand us and those of us without TP's talent/personality will not understand him).

Also, as stated before I have seen people do more harm to themselves sitting on the couch drinking day in and day out than I have seen FMX riders ruin their careers with injury and I'm sure many of the FMX riders have had similar concussion/injury numbers as Travis.

I sure would love to see a healthy Travis race but as much as I would enjoy it there is just as much contempt for the thought of bagging on someone just for riding a motorcycle... and in reality that is all he is doing, just like the rest of us.

Ivan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
any knockout (such as Pastrana's at the gravity games) is a concussion. I personally hope he takes a lot of time off and gets his head right. It ain't good when you get bonked on the head. Everything else on your body generally heals pretty good. Your brain doesn't like all those impacts. Again, I love nothing more than seeing Pastrana race, but I don't want him to end up a shell of a man like Muhammed Ali.