2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
And the verdict is....

Wet but generally rideable if you are into that sort of thing. I ran the south loop and half the north loop (ie the middle loop). The big mud at the far north end, I'm sure, is on the edge of being impassable.

In the real shaded sections there is still snow and ice. Nothing you couldn't do w/o studs. My bike is still fully loaded on the front and have a few stuck to the rear. I still paid attention in those areas as I was riding solo. Thre were 5 quads out there in 2 groups, they were scared in a few sections, but it was easy enough to get the bike around everything.

If you NEED to ride on this side, I'm betting this is the best area.

Things to note:
There are 4 trees on the trail I need to cut out. Watch your corners so they don't sneak up on you.
You can ride the south loop w/o getting wet feet.
The north loop requires much more trickery. In fact, if you take the MCCCT (east) side just north of 61 there is a big water hole that will suck you in. I might try to sneak a deck in there but the DNR is supposed to put a culvert in it someday (been in the planning stages for 2+ years). So, if you have a plate, when the trail snakes by center firelane, you'll know 'cause it drops down in a little gulley then backup right next to the road. Anyway, run the road up a couple hundred feet to the second two track to your right. That will take you back to the trail and skip the mudhole.

I imagine quads will be in full force this weekend.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for the info 2TrakR. Looks like KTM MIke and I will meet Zookieman and his buddy up there Saturday, and your report was just what we were looking for. We will keep that big hole at the near the north end in mind, as Mike and I both drowned our bikes there a few years back. Thanks again.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Hey Neal - this time I will be on YOUR bike...lets go for our favorite swiming hole! Its time for a crank up rebuild on the KDX anyhow isnt it? :p

2big4akdx said:
Thanks for the info 2TrakR. Looks like KTM MIke and I will meet Zookieman and his buddy up there Saturday, and your report was just what we were looking for. We will keep that big hole at the near the north end in mind, as Mike and I both drowned our bikes there a few years back. Thanks again.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YOu guys are such pranksters... I had your numbers though when Larry, randy and I met you up by Fairveiw and I noticed you had a flat front tire wired on :) :) hahahahahaahhh my kinda people..
Have fun you guys!!!!!
Woodsy

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
woodsy said:
YOu guys are such pranksters... my kinda people..Woodsy

Well here is our uh...odd sorta ride report. It turned out to be a rather interesting ride to say the least!

Neal and I arrived at trailhead around 11:00 am. I was feeling like a factory rider, as Neal had the KDX sitting there all spit polished, fueled up and ready for me to ride. No Zookieman around, so we kinda putzed killing some time hoping he would arrive. We decided we would head off to the south loop, come back to the truck, maybe find zookie, and ride some more. The south loop was "OK" - fairly wet in spots, fair bit of ice and snow, but rideable. I quickly wished I was Mr. Studdly like Neal, who had his KTM studded up! He loaned my his KDX to ride (my bike is waiting on parts), but sans studs.

We got back to the truck and sure enough Zookieman and his friend Scott (a future DRNer is my guess!) were there. Zookie on a RM250, Scott on a CFR-230 Without really checking the time (it was much later than I think any of us realized. I will be getting back to this key point later!)) We headed out on the north loop. We quickly found it was much wetter (like duh... :joke: ) and icier, but decided to press on wanting to at least get up to that nasty ole swimin hole at the north west corner. We found tons of ice, mud, snow, water and general yuk. We quickly learned (read got burned by) ice covered with mud so it simply looked like mud) with all of us (EXCEPT Mr. Studdly) doing some soil and ice sampling. In spite of all this, we were all having a good time, riding a slow and steady pace, punctuated by frequent stops (ie crashes!). Now - we gotta give Scott a HUGE :thumb: thumbs up - what trooper - I found out near the end of our ride he had only started riding last summer! He stuck through some nasty stuff that many "experienced" (uh...smarter?) riders would of bailed out on!

We got to the swiming hole, decided to not attempt a crossing, turned around. Now is when things got interesting. Somehow, we messed up at the point where the west leg rejoins the east leg of the north loop, and ended up head north! A short stop to re-orient (we shoulda done so way sooner though!), and Scott trys to start the CRf. The E-button was not working its magic - like nothin happening! Not a click, nothin! and the stupid bike HAS NO KICK STARTER! Oh Oh. Try to bump start...no luck. Zookie then reports...his fuel is looking a bit low! Quick look at the watch (FInally!) oh my - its well after 5:00 PM...temps starting to drop quickly... we were all wet...and chillin. We were not absolutely sure where we were...and simply riding the trail out may or may not get us where we want to be soon enough. A Try on the cell phone - no signal, and the GPS Zookie had well, you gotta remember to push the right button when you leave to track where you are!.

A trail rule I always live by - never leave a rider alone (if at all possible.). Neal and I quick scout out a nearby two track, that seems to be heading about in the right direction. We come back, leave Scott and Zookie with a couple of lighters, some paper, some munchies, some of those heater packet things and get a fire going. Neal and I head off on the two tracks to find the truck and come pick them up. A couple of wrong turns on some two tracks, some nastly slogging through icey mud holes (I really wished I was Mr. Studdly by now!) and we finally find Centerfire road. About then it was pretty much dark.

A rather cold and dark ride (seems a tree took out Neals KTM's head light last fall, and all the KDX offered was a faint general glow). A few snow flakes were coming down on occasion even. We finally arrive at the trail head, get the bikes into Neals truck, get some dry shoes on, and head north in my truck (we decided to leave Neal's as his tires are not particularily trail worthy).

We back tracked with the old Chevy's 4 wheel drive really getting a work out. Eventually we arrive back at Camp FreezinBiker, to find Scott and Zookie with their feet propped up by the fire, drinkin a cold beer (just joking guys! :laugh: ). They had managed to get their feet dried off and did confess to singing some campfire songs though. As we were loading the bikes, it started to snow pretty good, laying down a thin white layer ...though I dont think Scott and Zookie found it all that pretty! Our drive bak to the trail head was uneventful.

In spite of all this - I think we all still had fun! Scott and Zookie may not of thought so until they heard the clatter of my diesel coming through the woods on the rescue mission...but its amazing how a little warmth changes your perspective.

Lessons learned:
1) Pay better attention to the time!
2) Pay better attention to the turns in the trail!
3) Always ride with someone with a lighter and fire start!
4) The CRF230s ebutton and NO kickstarter sucks!

I dont think we have scared Zookie and Scott off yet though - (or have we?) Welcome to the world of MTR!

I will post some pics later this evening - got a nice one of the "resuce"...that camp fire sure looked inviting!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
GREAT ride report Mike!! Now thats what I call a REAL adventure. I took my friend Chris on such an outing last year and he just started riding with me again - hopefully Zookie and Scott take it all slightly less personal!
Seems like you and 2big could have come up with some wire to wrap around those tires for traction or something (you two are good at that kinda stuff)....
I agree with you about those bikes (and quads) that have no kicker - never made a lick of sense to me!
Cant wait to ride you guys
Woodsy

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Camp Freezinbiker!! I'm still rolling over that one! I got a good picture of 4 white feet propped on a log with steam coming off the toes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Woodsy - Boy Now you mention it...i did have some saftey wire in the fanny pack...add in some zip ties I could of had that KDX hooking right up! I think that Zookie and Scott are hooked though - and I suspect Scott may be disabling all those goofy interlock switchs on the e-start (clutch and neutral) as we supect thats where the problem came from. Oh...Woodsy - I assume you meant to have the word "with" inserted between "ride" and "you" right? I sure hope so!

MWEISSEN - yeah...steamin feet! I can see it now! You know, i think they had finally gotten a Cell signal and had just finished the pizza they ordered when Neal and I showed up! :laugh:

Attached are pics of luxurious Camp FreezinBiker and some happy guys climbing into the truck. The white blobs...snow.

Attachments

• gladwin rescue.jpg
    gladwin rescue.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 154
  • on the way out.jpg
    on the way out.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 135

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"Oh...Woodsy - I assume you meant to have the word "with" inserted between "ride" and "you" right? I sure hope so"
Sheesh Mike, I am SOOOOO glad you caught that before one of these other yahoos did. That could have been REAL bad!! Yes, "with" should have been there!!
On another note: Man, you guys had some HUGE snowflakes coming down that night. I noticed (one) is almost covering a bike...
Tell Zookie and Scott Camp Freezerbike REALLY was a luxury. I got stranded one time and had to start a fire by dumping gas from my tank, removing my spark plug and laying it against the head of the bike and a gas soaked leaf under the electrode, all in the DARK!!!
COOL PICS (literally)
Woodsy

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
zookieman said:
I went shopping today guess what I bought? :clue:

Uh...matches? a lighter? a "survival" kit? I got it...a kickstarter for Scotts CRF!

Hey - send your email address to me and I will send you some more pics.

Had a great time!

Scottwww

Dec 22, 2002
Hey Mike, thanks for the ride back to civilization. You are right. A am hooked. I have been thinking of things to stick in a survival pack for my next ride. I also pulled out the service manual to check out the wiring diagram for the CRF. Like you said, I plan to remove or circumvent all the switches. I would rather risk accidentally trying to start in gear, without the clutch pulled,...Oh My!...than risk getting stranded again with some stupid electrical problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom