fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
wow. That's some great gear. ;-) Make sure you carry a copy of that x-ray in your billfold so you can impress chics at the bar.

Three months on crutches????? Yikes. Rehab?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Seemingly good news Gomer? The metal is likely stainless steel, not supposed to be magnetic. But, the last time I went for an mri, the guy before me, his implant burnt him! Mine only got a little warm. Is yours supposed to come out? Attack the rehab, and stay on the updates! Vintage Bob

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm pretty sure it is all titanium.

They cancelled my rehab halfway in. My Physical Therapist billed under the same tax ID as the surgeon so they said she wasn't eligible to provide that service. They also told me that stupid was supposed to hurt so I was on my own with rehab.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
THAT is pretty bizarre Gomer, about right on time. Fools with tools ARE everywhere? Did you type The Rapist, or Therapist? Its not supposed to hurt, all the time. Thats how my first collarbone repair job, turned into a non-union and consequently another surgery. Hope thats not true of you though! The bars and screws are SS, and the rods are titanium, or at least thats how it was explained to me, kicking and screaming like a little girl. I hate doctors.com. Vintage Bob

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I wasn't kidding about my insurance company refusing to pay for PT, but I was kidding about them telling me stupid was supposed to hurt. When I went back to the surgeon last week I asked him if I needed to start doign PT with a different group and he said I was making good progress on my own and he didn't think I needed to do formal PT.

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
High Lord Gomer said:
When I went back to the surgeon last week I asked him if I needed to start doign PT with a different group and he said I was making good progress on my own and he didn't think I needed to do formal PT.

What do you think?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Mike, They probably just gave up on you...they know you'll just go out and do it again! :nener:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Questionably the best rehab, ride into shape! My son and I both had to have a screw removed, that was causing some mild discomfort to say the least. Ryan has talked about removing another by himself, he has seen it done before? The rod down the middle of the bone makes me quizzy, but works very good! The strap and screws on the outside, does not always hold as well. Did the surgeon discuss removal? Vintage Bob

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Update:

I went back in August and had a CT and MRI done. The result was that some of the pieces of bone had healed and some hadn't. I already had scheduled to go RO at the 3-Gun Nationals in Vegas in September and my 12 year old and I were scheduled to shoot in the Limited-10 Handgun Nationals in October so I scheduled the surgery for the day after I got back.

Some good news after surgery Thursday. Some of the bone has healed and because of that he was able to leave the plate and screws in. He cleaned out between and around the pieces that weren’t fused, scraped them back down to bleeding bone, packed them with BMP (miracle-gro for bones), and zipped it back up. The best part is that I will likely only be completely off it for 6-8 weeks instead of the 3 months he had originally told me. Because of all the digging around he had to do it has hurt worse this time than the last time. In the hospital I was getting Demerol as often as they would stick it in me. I got sent home with Dilaudid and was hitting that pretty hard Friday and Saturday. Haven’t taken anything today so I think I should be over it. I know Michelle is going to flip out but I plan on getting back to work sometime this week.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Good news Mike. Hope it ends your pain. :cool:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
I know Michelle is going to flip out but I plan on getting back to work sometime this week.
start to work is always good news. first if you are capable of working you are capable of living you life independently. and second you get your head occupied and forget the pains and the all hospital thing.

good news buddy :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I can't wait for the thread "Gomer UN-broke" as shot lived as it may be.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
An UnBroken Gomer is the human equivalent of a house of cards. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
An UnBroken Gomer is the human equivalent of a house of cards. :)
All jokers of course.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I see the "poked with a sticks" lives on! Great news!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Now you'll have no excuse not to go do some laps at Perris. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Trying to move in on AJ's territory! The non-unions are really awful. And people do try and live like that? And for me its not the surgery as much as the anesthetic, yuck! Are you doing the shell crap vitamins?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Another year...

Last week I went in and they removed the plate and screws. I have been complaining about them and asking to have them taken out since just after they were put in.

I bumped it right on the corner of the plate almost 3 months ago (didn't break the skin) and it swelled up. After a week or so it became infected. They cut it open, cleaned it out, and sewed it back up. Even after several rounds of antibiotics it was still infected and draining almost 3 months later so they decided to go in, remove all the metal, and clean it up as best they could.

The good news is that they said the infection was not down to bone and around the metal. When I woke up in recovery it was hurting pretty bad. It took several shots of Dilaudid to get it bearable. I think they said they gave me 5.4 mg IV. The nurse did say it was the most she had ever given a person and I was still awake and alert.

Spent the night Thursday, came home Friday, and lounged around all weekend. Been at work all day today and it feels almost as good as it did just before the surgery. I thought it was titanium but it turned out to be stainless. I have been told that some people react to stainless internally and I hope that was the case with me. I have had some bruising, swelling, and discomfort for the last 2 years that they couldn't otherwise explain. I also think that one of the screws might have gone too far through the bone and was causing trouble when I walked. We'll see soon enough.

LegHardware.jpg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom