1986 IT 200s

Jan 16, 2008
Hey All, I just bought a 1986 Yamaha IT 200s not running from a kid at work. He said he didn't know what was wrong with it and to make him and offer so I said 100$ and he took the offer. I get it home yesterday and after work today I cleaned the carb and cleaned the spark plug and it fired right up. Now I get to tear it all down and look for OEM parts to restore it from the ground up. Now my neighbors really hate me.

Jan 3, 2007
I wish i hade the money to restore my IT465 but i am making payments on the new ride so, mabe after thats done. Good luck with your project. Keep us updated and post some pics please.

1986 IT 200s

Jan 16, 2008
I completely understand about paying off the other ride also. I just bought a 07 Polaris 450 Sportsman in september. I will get some photo's on here during the process. He couldn't figure out why it was pushing fuel straight into the motor (Duh, he didn't pay attention to how it came out. I just want to get it running good before I take it all apart. Do you know where I can get OEM graphics for it and a good paint for the motor.

Jan 3, 2007
As far as paint Dupli-colour high heat engine enamel works well if you cure it. Other wise the best BBQ paint money can buy. As far as graphics XGX graphics might be able to make you some that look just like the stock ones.

1986 IT 200s

Jan 16, 2008
Wow, thanks for the info. I want to try to make it as close to showroom as possible. I am going to take my time with this one and do it right (A couple of years). Do you know if the paint is going to cause any problems with the engine disapating heat? Do you have any idea what it would be worth when I'm done?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Paint will not hurt heat dissapation. Some think that black paint acutally helps by drawing some of the heat to the dark layer of paint, helping you to better dissipate heat (i.e., car radiators painted black). However, paint is a PIA to keep looking good because it tends to get scraped and scratched.
As far as value, not really a collectible bike that I'm aware of. The value is what it's worth to you or the potential buyer. It will be worth more in perfect shape. Restoring mid-80s bikes is usually not a profitable venture, if you're looking to make a profit. However, you might always find someone with a lot of money that grew up riding one and wants to relive a part of his childhood and is willing to part with a chunk of money.

1986 IT 200s

Jan 16, 2008
Oh OK. I bought the bike for two reasons. 1. To learn how to work on them and 2. it was a good deal 100$. Anything I sell it for will be a profit or I'll keep it just to play around with and show off. (I have a 22 year old bike that looks brand new and runs like it). Thanks for the paint info. I have to get a camera before I put pics on here.

Top Bottom