wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
My Thor T-30 boots fit poorly (bought online) and hurt my feet while riding. I want new boots and would LOVE to have the Tech 8s, but $300 is a lot to spend on boots...

Can anyone out there make a recommendation for a pair of boots that are more affordable than the Tech 8s? I may end up biting the bullet anyway, but since not everyone wears Tech 8s, I was wondering what everyone else wears.

Thanks for your help!

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Fly just released a lower-priced clone of the Tech 8 called the Talon. I have a pair of 7-year-old Tech 8s that are still in good condition. I've re-soled them twice ($100), and replaced the sole inserts some 10-15 times ($20 each time). Considering the life I've gotten out of mine compared to cheaper boots, they are worth the money. The bad thing about Tech 8s is the soles wear out very quickly, the bootie gets shredded long before the rest of the boot, and they are friggin heavy. Yeah, yeah...I've heard the comment that they are lighter than a leg cast. I was told by some other riders on this site to re-sole Tech 8s with Sidi soles for more durability. Alpinestars is releasing a new version of the Tech 8, and alot of shops are dealing on the old ones. The biggest change is a new sole desighn. Go figure!
I recently got a pair of Bubba's boots, last year's Fox Forma Pro, for about $200. I really like the comfort, protection and light weight. They broke in very quickly too, but in the long run the protection might fade as they continue to soften. The soles on those are just as soft as the Tech 8's, but I'm very happy with that boot for the price.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
I wear the Alpinestar M6 boots which are the Enduro boots. Comfortable to wear for long periods, good protection, and you can walk in them, (on the trail this is a good thing).
I got these because I wanted good boots and since I don't race the Tech 8's are alittle more than I need.
I'd buy them again in a heart beat.

I tried the Oneals and cheaper boots and they were all the same, they killed my feet, not much protection.

Check this site.

www.ridegear.com
http://www.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/store/product/F-8194_M6_Boots.html?E+scstore

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The Thor T-30's are a very good low-end boot. If you don't like them, you're not going to like the other low-end boots.

The Tech-8's really are a great boot. I wore (wore-out) a pair of Fox Forrma boots before buying my -8's. The -8's provide great support and have all-day comfort. Look for a good deal...they're out there, or look for a used pair.

If you are committed to spending less then $200, buy another pair of T-30's in the correct size. When it comes to boots, size matters.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
I just got the new Forma Pros for $190. I had a bead on a pair of Tech 6's but after trying on both side by side, I preferred the Forma Pros, especially at that price. I've got a wide foot and the Forma Pros felt very comfy right out of the gate. The Tech 6's felt good but seemed that they may need some extra time getting broken in.

Scott

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
motosport outlet has last years alpinestars tech6 for $179, that is with free shipping and no tax. i have these boots and i really like them. the only thing is i think i bought the wrong size, they are a little small, i have to wear really thin socks.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I bought Sidi Raptors last summer for $155 and they offer better protection than the low end boots and are far more comfortable. Tech 6 offers good protection but are a little bulky, hot, and heavy. Tech 8 is way out there in the heavy, hot, and bulky department for me. To me Sidi offers the best compromise between protection and overall comfort. My last pair of Sidi boots lasted me for years. Check them out.

Top Bottom