Goodbye, old pal

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
R.I.P. Congo, 1993-2002

We're still in shock over the whole thing. We had no idea that he was sick. Just a couple weeks ago, he had been refusing most of his food. He preferred the canned food over the kibble, and didn't eat a whole lot. We thought it was heat related. When he threw up, I knew it was time for the vet. We took him to our local vet, and blood tests indicated a preliminary diagnosis of pancreatitis. They kept him off food and water, but on IV fluids for several days. Last Saturday, the local vet was on minimal staff, and suggested for best care that we take him to Cornell where they have 24hr supervision. I knew then that things were probably not going to work out.
More tests & ultrasound at Cornell indicated a "mass" in Congo's abdomen. Surgery on Tuesday confirmed that it was invasive (duodenum, liver, lymph nodes) and inoperable-- cancer. A consultation with their oncology dept. also concluded that chemotherapy would not help.
Last night, we said our goodbyes to one of the sweetest, gentlest dogs we've ever known. :(

Attachments

• congoman21.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 358

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
:(
Lori - My deepest sympathy to you and Dave. I still remember the night I slept on your hide-a-bed and woke up to Congo licking my toes.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Sorry to hear it Lori. :( :(

NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
Sorry to hear about your loss..
It's always rough to lose one of the Family
I have a feeling that the time is going to be coming soon for our Mutt.
She's 13 and really starting to show her age...
Best Wishes

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
We lost our girl about a month ago and it still hurts, sorry to hear it.
Elk

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
It always takes a few minutes before I am able to reply to these sad posts.
:(
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Happy hunting in dog heaven Congo.......

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Sorry to hear it Lori. That made me super sad to read. I know how hard it is to lose a loved one. Hang in there.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Best of wishes to you Lori.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Sorry to hear of your loss, Lori. The onlybad part about haveing a dog in your life is the whole they leave when they are gone. Rest well, Congo.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
geez I hate this. Too many DRNers have lost pets this year.

Sorry to Hear Lori

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sorry, Lori. :(

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Lori,

Sorry for the loss of one of your family members. As a dog person I truly understand what you're feeling as does everyone that has or had a dog.

Be well

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Sorry Lori. I know how you feel.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Lori, very sad news. I'm sure Congo was happy and very lucky to be loved so much. My friends "inheirited" a Newfoundland in '94 after their college friend died in a car accident. They took over care of "Kody" and Kody recently died within the last month. It was extra sad because Kody was the last attachment to their friend Mark who died back in '94.

Never easy to lose a beloved pet. I feel for you! Hang in there!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. It's still very difficult to talk about. I'm just glad we were there for him at the end.
As much as we think we'll be glad not to have to pick up after the drooling, shedding flea-bags, they sure do leave a hole in your life when they're gone! :ugg:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Sorry to hear about Congo Lori. My deepest sympathies to you and Dave. :(

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…