Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I am getting ready to get an '03 YZ 125 and am considering getting a steering stabilizer for it. I have ridden my dad's '02 YZ 125, so I know how the bike handles. I've heard that a steering stabilizer really helps in the woods. I've heard a lot of good things about the GPR and Scotts stabilizers. I just don't know which one to choose if and when I do get a stabilizer.
Thanx for all the help!

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I forgot to say, I also want to know if a stabilizer is really worth the money. They cost quite a bit of $$$. I am only 14 and it takes quite a while to get $350/$400.
Thanx again

KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
In my opion I would choose the GPR but Im a little bias. I use one myself, Ive had it for about a year now and they do make a big difference. The GPR cost less than the Scotts and has more adjustability than the Scotts, At least it did at the time I purchased mine. But GPR also will service the unit for free as long as you own it, and will also make any upgrades to the unit to keep you up to date for Free . All in all you have to do a little research and compair the units, call Scotts and GPR and ask questions. Make a list for each unit Pros and Cons and from there you should be able to make the choice that is best for you.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
First off, yes, steering dampers are definitely worth the money if you ride aggressively on anything besides MX tracks.

I have both Scotts and GPR units and prefer the GPR for the reasons KTM-Lunatic described. There's nothing wrong with the Scotts, the work great, but I like how GPR services and supports their units.

I'll have two, possibly three Scotts dampers for sale on this site in the next 60-90 days.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i was going ask the same questions anbout steering dampeners. i ride both woods and motocross type stuff, do you will the dampener do anything for motocross type riding?

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
On motocross tracks, if we even have the dampers mounted, they'll be dialed to the lowest setting and aren't really doing anything. Where a damper shines is when you take a sudden hit from a rock or root that tries to rip the bars from your hands. Their low speed setting can also take the wiggle out of the bike on high speed desert/road sections.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for the info kenr, im still interested in the stabilizer because of the offroad and woods type riding i do. are they easy to adjust? i see there are dials on them, how do you know what setting you need for the type of your on terrain? the reason i ask is because where i ride at most of the time the terrain varies in different spots.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
The low speed setting is adjusted on both by the prominent knob on top. The high speed settings are adjusted by screws in the side of the damper. After they're set up, this is the only adjuster you'll ever really play with is the low speed. This knob determines how much resistance the damper provides when you turn the bar side-to-side. It has little to do with how the damper handles a sudden jerk to the bars from a root or rock. In a typical desert race, I may adjust my Scotts 1/4 turn during the race depending upon conditions, the GPR maybe one number up or down. It's all really a matter of feel. If I come to prolonged tight section, I may turn the setting down just to save some turning effort, but really they are a set-it-and-forget-it thing. In any case, you never should feel like you have to push the bars to make them turn.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I also saw a blue GPR stabilizer in a magazine. This would not affect my decision, but is the public able to get colored dampers or just the select few factory riders?

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
GPR now offers them in colors. We've got an orange one on our 85SX and it looks way cool. I'll post some pictures this afternoon.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
A STABILIZER IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD ON MANY OF OCCASIONS
MAYBE EVEN COMING IN TO EVERY TURN GOING DOWN EVERY STRAIGHT STRETCH OVER EVERY LOG IN EVERY RUT ON EVERY HILL AS WELL AS ON YOUR BIKE
YOU LL LOVE IT GOLD, BLACK, WERFOR MORE WOODS, ORANGE, BLUE OR EVEN BELOW YOUR TRIPLE CLAMP WITH ADJUSTMENT AT THE GRIPS
IL WAGER YOU STILL LOVE IT..

Top Bottom