jimboe

Nov 29, 2002
Do any of you use a GPS to navigate on long rides?

I ride the countless logging roads of So Oregon and often can't figure out where the heck I am on my maps. I thought a GPS might be a good idea to prevent spending a cold night lost in the woods.

I understand a basic GPS will give me my position and I could find it on my topo map. I also heard the more sophisticated models have the ability to download the map into the memory. Would that be worth the much higher cost?

Thanks,
Jimbo

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Jimbo,
I use a GPS so that I don't get lost in a few hundred miles of federal land. They really work well, BTW for the GPS mount do a search here, there is a company that makes mounts for specific dirtbike, I can't think of the name of the company at present. Anyway, go to www.Garmin.com to study and compare different models. Most handhelds have the ability to download maps from the computer, and you can upload your "tracks" or where you road to your computer map. Another extremely good feature, and most important IMO, is to set your postion (into the GPS) from your campsite or where you park. The GPS will point you in that direction coming back, give you information about how far you are from your camp and even tell you average and top speed. Just make sure you bring extra batteries, I've ran out of juice before and had to feel my way back.

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
A Garmin III+ wired to my KTM 520 battery has functioned as you describe. The mount from www.cycoactive.com holds the power wire in place. I download local topo maps of the riding area into the Garmin for additional information. I have been surprised at the number of trails often contained on the topo data. The GPS does not take the place of paper maps which I think are invaluable when riding in unfamiliar areas.
Most GPS systems also provide trackback functions. It is simple to enter a waypoint such as CAMP or PARKING, but the units give heading and distance as a direct line to the waypoint which may be impassable due to a river or mountain ridge.
The saved tracks can be superimposed on either Topo maps or digital aerial photos(Terraserver).
Garmin V is an update version of my unit with larger memory, better display, and larger track capability (and also has Autorouteing, I think). The Garmin 176 is a larger unit with a better, larger display.
These units will also function in the automobile and are very useful navigating in unfamiliar areas.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom