joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I've seem a few GPS systems, and I'm trying to see if I can use it here in North Eastern Pa.
There a million trails @ my area. I've explored some but, I've had to put markers on the corners to lay out any type of Hare Scramble/enduro practice course.
I was wondering if I got a GPS if it would be the cat's Meow??? I know they use them out west but here on the East Coast???
Has anyone used them out here for mapping??? I've looked at them, but there are so many. I like to travel a route, map a course, go home, plug it into my computer to print out a map.
Am I way out there or can it be done??
Any info would be helpful :)
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2 TTR 125 Boy "A"'s and "B"'s
2000 ATK 125
Pain the morning after lets you know you've survived the race :)

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I don't think that geographic region should affectyour ability to use a GPS. I ride in northern Michigan and a buddy of mine uses a Garmin GPS3 (Ithink) to map the trails as we ride. His unit is not downloadable to a PC, bu t I believe that some are. He has a dual sport conversion and even wired his bike to power the GPS! Batteries do not do so well as the vibration causes them to chafe and lose connection. I would definately invest in a warranty, as I know that he replaced one unit under his waranty in three years or so of use. It depends on how you ride/crash! :confused: Overall it has been a lifesaver on more than one occassion.

Good Luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have a garmin e-map. You can download the info from a ride onto a map. Are limited somewhat by the types of mapping software that will 'talk' to the garmin, but it does work. The editing function is a bit less than I'd like. You can download all the tracks you've saved..but you can't EDIT the tracks. Who wants to know you spent an hour going up and down the same hill over and over?

re: battery problem

Haven't had any. Slip the thing in with my hydrator and it's just fine.

Came in handy last poker run out here. Some lady rolled her quad on her head. Not accessible by ambulance (cuz they were given the wrong directions to get to her. Ended up only a mile away by crow, but 10 miles and probably 45 minutes away by road). I marked a waypoint at the lady, went back to the ambulance. They could use their talky/walkys to relay the info to the air unit.

Month ago was able to waypoint a lightning strike fire and relay that info to the fire dept. via cell phone. That was cool.

You lose reception quite often, but it doesn't keep you from seeing the track when you download it to your 'puter.

If you're thinking of a forestry service type printout, or some other greatly detailed map, the garmin emap doesn't interface with such a critter.

'Sides...those are kind of hard to PRINT!;)

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
I have a Garmin that works real well I keep it in my fanny pack. The
one I have is for hiking, and hunting. It shows speed, tracks the trail
you have been on, max speed, miles traveled, current speed.
Yea I recommend one, I like mine when I'm at a new trail I can mark my location. It tells me how far back to that spot..

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
I use one mounted to my bars... I went with the garmin etrex line though, because it is water proof....i just have the regular etrex...but some of the models in the etrex line have the capabilities that you want.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
We use the Etrex, too. Get one where you can plug in an external aerial if you can afford it as the basic models do lose the plot a bit. I know ours works better when I'm using it as I'm slower than my husband, so doesn't lose lock as often. It goes in the camelbak or in the bag on my KDX.

We use it for seeing where our trails go but also for making new ones. Just mark a waypoint & head towards there, instead of relying on you keeping an eye on which direction you want to go to.

As for using it to mark an injured person, I never, ever, ever want to do that. However, we have told the ambulance staff that we have one with us if they do need to figure out where a lifeflight has to go. (We organise events and here in NZ, for insurance purposes we have to have trained medical staff onhand and to be honest, those of us running the events prefer it not to be us).

As for mapping software, we use GPS Trackmaker - www.gpstm.com

We download to the computer & can alter the tracks if we want, paste a picture behind it.
Hope that helps
Michelle

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
i'm using the garmin III+ and it does what you want. with the latest software update (which is free) you can edit your maps.

It can all be uploaded/downloaded with your desktop pc or even from gps to gps.

you can find the III+ units fairly reasonable now as the V is out now with more memory and features.

EnsignB

Apr 13, 2002
I used an Etrex Legend in Northeast PA on my KDX and it worked well. I'm assuming you were concerned about the tree cover affecting the GPS? I didn't have any problems with that. When I was riding at Tower City, the GPS would cut off sometimes. I bent the one battery contact out a little bit and haven't had any problems since.

It's a great tool.
-----
Brandon

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
michelle:

The link you mention (trackmaker) says:
'To start the use of GPS TrackMaker program there is nothing better than download some maps of general interest'

So the trackmaker needs maps imported from some other source? I'm asking before doing much in the way of my own research..I'm downloading the trackmaker now, but your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I knew you guy,(and gals!) would help me out. I ride with my 2 sons,(10-13) and have to mark the trails sooo well so they don't get lost and freak!
I can see a million uses for one now that I read your postings.
I'm gonna visit all these sites and see what's what.
One last question I bet anyone who has looked at this will ask: Are they hard to set up/operate. I don't want to invest in one only to discover I have to have a phd to use it or end up using 1/10 of it's capabilities.
Thanks
Joe

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
Are they hard to set up/operate. I don't want to invest in one only to discover I have to have a phd to use it or end up using 1/10 of it's capabilities.

No, its not too bad.

THe main problem that I have with mine is when I use it on my street bike for trips. I catch my self fiddling with it when I should be paying attention to the road! ;-)

mule

Nov 7, 2001
Does it show where you are real time or do you have to set a way point and then wait until you go some distance and press some button again and see a line? I guess what I mean is there a map that you can see your movement (assume mounting near handlebars) as your progressing to some geographical goal?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The basic etrex tells you how far & what direction it's in, so long as you're moving at the time (when you're not moving, pick a random direction & the last point where you were & you'll be close to what it tells you).

The etrex does not have a moving screen, but it is a basic model.

Canyncrver: you can use your own map. We scanned a map we had of the area & redrew it - adding in relevant data for us. I can send you a copy if you want. The one thing about it is it's slow - of course we're usually in a hurry to print something out & so it makes it worse.
Hope that helps.
Michelle
(no, I wouldn't buy another Etrex as we'd rather have more features that we could use, but don't regret buying it either).

Top Bottom