2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
In a recent ride report I mentioned the little project I'm working on that involves mapping the ORV trails with GPS. For anyone interested, here's a quick run down:

The CCC is attempting to GPS map the ORV trails as well as the MCCCT and ORV Routes. I think the Routes are lower in priority, but that may just be my opinion. The intent is to make a new mapbook with "super accurate" maps. All of you CCC members know the mapbook we have now is awesome, but does lack in accuracy at times and is a bit out of date in some areas.

I've taken a big interest in the project for a couple reasons, both for personal and for club use. Knowing exactly where the ORV trails are will help me tremendously when putting Dual Sport routes together, so we don't conflict. Personally, I like this sort of thing as it's a chance to put technology to practical use.

I plan to share maps and GPS data of all the trails I ride myself although I may hold back on making too many maps available. Mostly since if the CCC makes them a club goodie, they won't want me giving them away to just anyone regardless if I made the maps myself (not just copied theirs). Anyhow, there's a good chance the maps will be available electronically to CCC members for printing themselves, although specifics are being sorted out yet. If you've seen the maps I make for the Dual Sport courses at the CCC Trail Tours, you'll have a decent idea of what they will look like (smaller though for sure).

This is a huge project, just in the number of miles that need to be ridden. If you want to help, I'm sure it would be appreciated. I don't think there is a point person on this yet, so feel free to contact me for now. You'll need a GPS..

More information here (with sample map and list of trails already done):
<http://homepage.mac.com/jvalley/TrailMapping/>

--
Jeramey Valley
jvalley@mac.com

Top Bottom