2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
There's some thought about writing a grant to put up new "You Are Here" (YAH for short) maps on our ORV trail system. The DNR has made these signs before and they were part of the maintenance program. They have not made any new YAH signs in at least a few years and it's understood they have no plans to produce such signs in the future. Why this is, is another conversation in itself.

One of the CCC Board Members brought up the idea of us putting together a grant to make the signs. These ones would be based on the CCC's map base; that is a GPS recording of the trail. Of course I'm involved as I built the current map book and would be producing the data.

If you are not familiar with the current setup, here's the DNR maps:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html
Those are printed on 1/4" plastic, 11x17 in size and nailed to a 4x4 post at certain intersections along the trail. There is then a "You Are Here" sticker affixed to them indicating where you are on the trail. Vandalism is a pretty hefty problem with the majority being the signs are just stolen.

So far, I don't see much reason to go past the information of data on the old map. Our maps would probably be 2 color, red for trails and black for everything else.

Looking for your input on this project. How many signs on a trail, where, type of signs, information needed on the maps, etc. Especially looking for ideas relating to installation and theft/vandalism reduction.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
2TrakR said:
Looking for your input on this project. How many signs on a trail, where, type of signs, information needed on the maps, etc. Especially looking for ideas relating to installation and theft/vandalism reduction.

as often as possible , if the loop is unchanged,every few intersections especially ones that could be used for shortcuts to gas , help etc. if the loop is changed(lengthened) those intersections take precedence

YAH, emergency #s, which way is faster to parking in case help is needed, gas, food, parts possibly on map??

install them where atv's cant get a bumper on them, use tamper proof screws, recess them so guys cant pry em off with their pocketknife . far fetched but we install some lightpole footings that auger themselves into the ground with a hydraulic attachment on the backhoe, there would be no loosening them up and taking em home

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
I think the additional signage would be great, I't be nice to add intersection #'s to all the loops like drummond and a few other trails it makes navigation easier, as for the signs, if you put them at intersections that are away from roads or a litttle further in on the trail, where just the trial traffic is I think this would cut down on theft, Do the mounts need to be all wood? or could you do somethin i steel or such to decreses the odds of theft.

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
additionally, what about increasing the size say to 18 x 24 or 20 x 30 that would make them a lot harder to steal, it pretty difficult to ride of with these even on a quad.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
FLEM said:
as for the signs, if you put them at intersections that are away from roads or a litttle further in on the trail, where just the trial traffic is I think this would cut down on theft,

I was thinking the same thing. Out of sight out of mind. :cool:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Most of the theft/damage I see are at locations only easily accessible by the trail riding crowd. There's two facets to the damage:
Those who want a map.
Those who hate the DNR, don't realize it's ORV $ and volunteers putting them up, and take out their anger on these signs.

I like the super huge map idea to discourage them from walking away.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
print on the maps , "donated and maintained by MCCC " ?? may stop the haters. i would have to guess its teens though and they probably cant read while drunk and in the dark when they are most likely doing this vandalizing

just curious , do the cycle only trails have as bad of sign survival rate as 50" under??

as for those who want a map, id guess its a vicious circle here as the vandals ruin them :bang: the more need a person would have for his own :bang:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
ellandoh said:
just curious , do the cycle only trails have as bad of sign survival rate as 50" under??

Chuckle, now there's a question that can't be answered with a PC statement.
It's safe to say, from my experience, that more heavily used trails/areas see more vandalism.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i cant stand riding up on a post that obviously posted a map . i love them YAH maps as im always going to different trails and never commit any to memory, except tin cup LOL , i for one will donate to a 1-800-report-vandalizing fund if it would help , or hook a trailer to my jeep and install some myself, whatever. so let me know, im in. i can probably talk a couple of my partners into something also

note to self (get a towhitch)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
The YAH signs are great, I've used them often. Too bad they get vandalized, I just don't understand that behavior at times.

I mentioned this before, but I'd like to see cross-roads marked on the stop signs along a trail as well. When I remember to bring a map, that helps get me oriented quickly.

Thanks for your great support 2TrakR.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
MWEISSEN said:
The YAH signs are great, I've used them often. Too bad they get vandalized, I just don't understand that behavior at times.

I mentioned this before, but I'd like to see cross-roads marked on the stop signs along a trail as well. When I remember to bring a map, that helps get me oriented quickly.

Thanks for your great support 2TrakR.

Ditto on what Mark said.. Dont make no since!!
Two years ago the snowmobile club up here went thru and put up all new signage on our trail behind the house. Two days later some idiots came thru and ran ALL of them down with a car/truck, even successfully breaking off all the poles too!! JUST MAKES NO SENSE DOES IT!!!
Anyway, yes 2trakr - THANKS again for your hard work on all of our behalf!!
Woodsy

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
Two years ago the snowmobile club up here went thru and put up all new signage on our trail behind the house. Two days later some idiots came thru and ran ALL of them down with a car/truck, even successfully breaking off all the poles too!! JUST MAKES NO SENSE DOES IT!!!

Funny, I came across the same thing this summer while riding a route we have in the Mesick/Boon area. Mile after mile of snowmobile signs meticulously ran over by a truck.

It all starts to make sense though based on the amount of dead beer cans I always see while riding.

Top Bottom