2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
One of the CCC's minor, unofficial, projects is to map the trail systems out with GPS. It's fascinating to look at a real track log of a trail and compare it to the map the DNR provides. Some are close, many are, well, slightly inaccurate.
Has anyone been recording the trails they ride?
I'd like to put together all of the track logs and make 'em available on a web site. You could d/l the track and push it to your GPS before riding a new (to you) trail system. That sort of info is even better than the "you are here" signs out on the trail.
I have Gladwin, 2/3 of Leota and Long Lake, if anyone wants to see 'em. In fact, on the Gladwin loop I have every stop sign, stop ahead, trail crossing, etc sign waypointed. There's a bunch of 'em.
I use a Garmin eTrex Vista with a RAM handlebar mount. It work pretty well. Even at what I call speed - 23 mph - in the trails. I try to run slower when purposefully mapping the trail. Slower speeds can yield better accuracy.
I'd be very interested if anyone has the Big 'O' loop recorded. It would help with a mapping project for the Rites of Spring.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I always thought this would be a great project as well! I have a Garmin GPS III+, and have some trails recorded, but usually find I lose signal, and therefore tracking, while riding. I don't mount mine to the bike, but through it in a pack. Obviously this defeats part of the purpose. I carry it only if I need to track where I'm at.

No Big O tracking, however.

I do have a lot of the trailhead parking areas marked however, including Drummond Island, which could also be helpful for people not familiar with certain riding areas.

Top Bottom