COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I recently replaced the clutch plates on my 88 Husky 125. The bike sat for 10 years and the clutch disks fused to the steel plates. I cleaned the bonded clutch material off the steel plates with some steel wool and got about 90% off. I checked the plates and they aren't warped. The clutch basket looked fine. I've done all the adjusting at the hand lever and case as possible. I'm running 10-30 yamalube. At start up, it still feels fused together, after warm-up they unstick and work o.k. at higher rpm. It will still be grabby from standing start and at lower rpms when I really need the clutch, its sticking again. AAAGHH!!! I'm definitely no mechanic but I've had the plates out several times recently and when I remove the plates and disks from the basket, they are somewhat difficult to seperate/spin. Should I just go ahead and replace the steel plates? Did I damage them using the steel wool or is the small amount of residue from the old disk material enough to cause this? What else could I be missing? Thanks for any help.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
There were some burrs on the inner and outer basket that I filed. It didn't look like much but while it was out I smoothed them down. I keep thinking that the little bit of material on the steel drive plates would be enough to keep it from spinning freely. Any ideas on this?

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Coleman, For starters you need to clean all the excess material off the plates in order for them to work properly. If you can't, then check with Barnett and purchase some new plates and fibers and start fresh. Then you have a solid base to start from and see if the problem still occurs.

Check with some Husky nuts at Halls Husqvarna in Springfield, Ill., for additional assistance. Just a direction to go in that always worked for me.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Thanks KTM/MAICO. That should have been obvious to me, duh. The plates were pretty clean but still had some 'prints' from the material. This was my first clutch replacement and I didn't think they would be that 'finicky'. The basket had little wear and the burrs that were filed were nothing more than pitted metal. Any suggestions on cleaning the material from the plates? I don't want to mess it up further by 'overworking' the plates.

Top Bottom