Grafting Real Forks on to the TTR-125L

After looking at Kali's pictures from Glen Helen, I noticed that there was a pic of a TTR with what looked like real forks on it (not the toothpics it ships with). Does anyone know if it is possible to simply bolt on a front end from something like a YZ80, or do you have to go whole hog and get a different frame like the BBR perimeter unit ($$$)? Any help would be appreciated......my suspension is practically bottoming out going over ant hills :D Thanks.

ACS

If your forks are standard try the BBR springs. They are great.

It appears that the YZ80 forks are able to be fitted up as Mike Allessi's TTR that he raced recently was fitted with YZ forks. Pics were somewhere. Cant remember where now.....ummmmmm.

Fork swaps usually are expensive and complex as you need the forks, clamps, bearings, spacers maybe, master cylinder, brake lines and you can land up with weird geometry.

That is exactly the info I was looking for........thanks Kali. I look forward to reading about your impressions and checking out all the pictures.

How much do you think the full meal deal is gonna cost you (labour not included)?

Vic

***** freak.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
You oughta know, Vic . . .

Money's no object when it comes to fun!

Do you have a rear disc on that little piglet yet, Kali?

ACS

I smell melting plastic:)

The TTR will stay with the conventionals as I'm hoping a YZ mini 4 stroke is in the pipeline.

I have heard (somewhere) that a YZ 125 F is in the works. It will be on an upgraded YZ 80 frame and have all the goodies. I should have waited, but 125 four-stroke just ain't what I wanted. ;)
80 cc's of two-stroke, that's a different story. Good luck with the bike, Kali! I can't wait to see how it comes out!

ACS

$500 a month, hmmmmmmm, i would some months like to keep spending down to that! Racing 4 bikes adds up really quickly. We race MX and a bit of cross country and with accommodation, fuel and parts............ If Yamaha announced a mini 4 stroke YZ I would leave the office now and have a deposit in my friendly dealers hand in 20 min. Then it will be pipe, frame guards, brake line, bars etc. always something to do and something to spend money on for sure. I think it keeps me out of trouble ..... :)

Vic

***** freak.
Kali - Yes, the YZ forks are that much longer. You could probably have a custom line made up, or possibly use some different fittings to adapt the YZ line to the TT-R master cylinder.

SFO

Lifetime Sponsor
Kalitude,
If you contact Kosman racing in windsor they will custom make anything you want and it will fit perfect.
I used to work there and it was one of my jobs.
They also have a website but it is mostly dragracing stuff.
If you bring your bike in they will do it whilst you wait.
They also usually have some cool projects going on too.
Bill

Vic

***** freak.
Kali- SFO's plan sounds like a good one. :)

SFO

Lifetime Sponsor
Kalitude,
You might want to use the sleeve/stiffener from your oem line.
The earls/goodrich stuff is roadbike style.
It might mean destroying your oem line and hopefully it is not glued together.
Also have them do a cr style routing.
If you have any questions maybe I can answer them.
Bill

SFO

Lifetime Sponsor
The stainless steel braided line comes in bulk coils.
The manufacturer being either goodrich or earls.
The plastic stiffener is on oem and aftermarket hoses, it prevents the hose from bowing into the wheel on a longer travel ie dirt bike.
The cr style routing does away with the loop of hose that goes from the caliper to under the fork and up the front.
Cr style routing wraps around the fork gaurd and shoots strait up.
Better feel because there is no unbleadable loop under the fork. The air can escape at the master cylinder.
My favorite memories of our horses revolve around twisted ankles, I would wrap and soak every day for 6 months without riding.
Man, that is going to far, all the work and no riding.
Bikes are way more satisfying for me.
Kosman is not cheap, but their stuff is top notch.
Say, Dale might have some bulk brake line stuff around...
I think I might know someone else too, but ask him first.

Originally posted by kalitude

Streetsquid, so you are now selling the little bugger?
Kali......well, after reading your response and the cost involved with putting upgraded forks on my ride, I figured it would just be cheaper to buy a bigger bike.

I bought the little TT-R as a training bike for my roadracing, but I couldn't resist jumping the bike and being more aggressive, so I quickly found the limits of the suspension.

Kali, have you researched the differences between Engines Only's Kit and the Powroll Kit with Cam? price aside what have you found as far as pros and cons for them both?