Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
I own a 98' cr125 and have just replaced all the bearings and seals in the linkage and swingarm. The suspension had seised so all the bearings were shot.
I know a mechanic(who just works on road bikes) and he was looking at the problem and sugested installing a greese nipple in the linkage(between the two bearings there is a gap), this would allow me to pump the bearings with clean greese and push out the old stuff on a regular basis without spending a day doing it. But the problem is that a road bike isn't going over jumps so it won't have muck pressure on the linkage so it would probably be ok, but on a dirk bike, I am not so sure...

Will drilling a 4-6mm hole in the linkage cause it to brake if it gets a serious knock???:think

Thanks to anyone who responds.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I was of the same mind when I had to replace the swingarm bearings on my son's KX125. I was told that the swingarm would be too weak after drilling the hole. Don't know if it would be the same on your CR.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Some time ago, ok, many moons ago, I had zerk fittings installed on my CR...or was it a KX, I can't remember which. Anyway it had no ill affect on the strength. However, keep in mind that even with Zerks you will still have to disassemble and grease properly every now and then. The time interval is just not as short.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I’ve put zerk fittings in the swingarm and 2 of the linkage bearings. It gets grease in but you risk pushing the seal out :eek: Also, depending where the fittings are, you may not be getting grease to the entire bearing. I opted to forego putting fittings in my new bike. The best way to go is to tear it down and clean and grease everything. It also gives you an opportunity to clean where the pressure washer won’t reach and to check for frame cracks, etc.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom