Greetings - New(Reborn) KDX Rider

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Greetings all:

Wont ask a bunch of stupid questions since it seems that the masses have pretty much covered it all in the archives.

Found a leftover new 2001 KDX200 that the dealer wanted to drop like a disease - so here I am. Used to ride KDXs back a few - well more than a few years now. Have gone all the way up to 400 pound dual sports - and now am coming back home to the woods.

Just ordered all kinds of new gizmos for it. New gnarly/burly pipe was probably the most noteable. Also ordered a bunch of dual sport stuff as well. MO is pretty easy to get a tag - so no worries there.

My only concern is if the voltage supplied is at or very near 12v. I will probably tap into the headlight power and run my LED tail/brake combo (only 1 watt).

Any info on the electrical would be greatly appreciated.

Heading out to Moab in the spring - so looking forward to re familiarizing myself with this old friend before I do something stupid and fall off a 2K foot cliff.

Cheers to all and Happy New Year.

Sean

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Fredette carries lighting coils up tp 75 watts. Here is a link to the page.
http://www.frpoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FRP&Category_Code=MOOSE2

Welcome back and enjoy. :)

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I forgot how much fun these bikes were to ride. Spent the day a a state ORV park (not usually my idea of fun) and had an absolute blast.

I thought only the pumpkin riders had some kind of bond. 15 mins at the park and 10+ guys with KDXs were gathered around telling lies.

The bike performed perfectly except that after really long (8 mile+ secions of really low speed idle/.25 throttle sections int he woods - it seemed that it almost fouled the plug. After 1/4 mile of reving out - it cleared it out with no problem.

My new pipe will be here Monday - and I will drill the airbox then too. I will se if that clears up my little woods problem.

Oh - about the stator:

I was hoping to get by with the stock. I am using a 1 watt LED that should not draw anything from the stock headlight. I was thinking that switching to a standard 25 watt headlight and LED tail combo should give me what I am looking for.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I'm no motor expert , but jetting and switching plugs to the B8ES should help out a bunch on the low RPM stuff. You may be suprised to find that putting on your new pipe brings your jetting closer to where it is supposed to be. The factory jetting is way too rich.
I'm glad you had fun at your local ORV. I got started back to riding recently also. My first ride after seven years was at Hatfield and McCoys ORV in West Virginia. I made a few "rusty rider" mistakes but I had a blast. I'm currently putting on an FMF pipe, Fredette porting the cylinder, changing the piston to a Wiseco unit, and boring the carb to the 200 diameter. It should rock.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom