timberguy

May 10, 2006
That pretty well sums it up. And if so, what kind should I use?

Kawasaki indicates an adhesive for the left grip, but doesn't say what kind.

Friends say don't use it because you'll have to ruin it if you ever take it off.

Thanks for whatever advice you have....

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
I myself use JB weld the grips just dont slip.. And why would you take off the grip unless its worn out.. Put a cup of water in the microwave until it gets hot. Imerse the grips in it so they get soft. Quickly dry them off cover the bar and the inside of the grip with Jb Weld and slide them on and wait awhile

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've used a spritz of paint or even hair spray. Grips (at least the ones I buy) aren't so expensive that I hurt if I replace them. But if one slipped off at a bad moment, hurt could come hard!

JB Weld would probably work, but it sure seems like an overkill. I used Goop once. It was more than needed too. But the grip stayed on.

Some folks like to tie them on with safety wire. I don't have the stuff.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I typically use grip glue, but once in a track emergency for a friends kid, i wrapped the left side in a pretty thick layer of electrical tape which seemed to work very well that night. There is also another thread that discussed this a while back. I remember seeing everything from glue to spray paint.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive that comes in the spray can. A little on the inside of the grip and a little on the bars is all that's needed. The grips are on there solid in about 5 minutes, and will stay there tight until they are cut off.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
You'll get 100 different suggestions. I never want to have a grip slip on me, so I use grip glue (or regular rubber cement) and safety wire. My grips only come off when I am changing them anyways.

Back in the day I always used hair spray on my bicycle grips because I changed them all the time.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
YES!!! Use adhesive, it makes the job so much easier. I also use 3m weather strip adhesive, but I don't use the spray, or I use Permatex Ultra High Tack gasket sealant. The adhesive will make the grips so easy to slide on. Once on, safety-wire the crap out of them. I crashed once because a grip slid off.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A grip that slips off is annoying at the least and perhaps dangerous at the extreme.
I rarely need to take a grip off that isn't already destroyed so I wouldn't worry about that.

Getting the glue off so you can apply new grips is an issue. It doesn't take much to hold the grips in place. I have used hair spray as an adhesive: it holds well enough and is easy to clean off when you need to replace the grips.

Rod

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
I use a cheap hairspray and then saftey wire each grip in 3 locations.

Having a grip come off at the wrong time can be detrimental to your health so whatever you do, make sure they're on the bars for good.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom