KTM Clutch basket without threads!

bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
Hello Everyone,
I'm working on a 2010 KTM250SX. Owner ordered several parts including a new OEM clutch basket. To my surprise the new basket does not have the threads for the 8 (M8) mounting screws. What do I do? Can I helicoil this and reuse the existing screws or do I go one size up to M10 screws and make a thread in the aluminum itself? The new holes are way too big for the original screws so a helicoil is the only answer for the original screws. But I'm not sure if that's accepted practice on a clutch basket.
Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Make sure you have the correct basket. If so, call a KTM dealer and ask a service tech. Maybe they made it for steel insert, big fat rivets or bolt/nuts ?? Did the owner mail order it or pick it up at a local dealer?

bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
It was mail ordered through a dealer. The interesting part is that the part numbers on the baskets are identical! The original one had the thread in the aluminum of the basket itself (obviously in a smaller hole). Do you think I can get away using helicoils on all the bolts? I've done research and found people that repaired one or two damaged threads, but can I do all of them (using threadlock of course)?
Thanks for your time.

Top Bottom