cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
I was just curious if anyone has tryed to make their tires more like new again with a tire groover. I did a little work on my pirrelli's tonight and cannot wait to try them out. I had worn them down to where there was no gap between some of the close knobs anymore so I cut the gaps deeper between them taking care to only cut away knob and not to go any deeper than the rest of the tire. I think that this will make the knobs sink deeper into soft soil giving me better traction since each knob will have a smaller surface area. So I will report back with results later this week after a ride.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sharp edges on the leading knob are what you require. Soft tires you can cut with a box cutter snap-off knife. If you’ve ever tried to sharpen them with a razor you usually give up after the 3rd row of knobs wishing you’d never started.

Disc grinder fitted with cut-off wheel

Use the cut-off wheel like a grinder wheel touching the edges until sharp, takes about 10 min a wheel, but do outside with eyewear.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
I used a tire groover that has a heated blade and cuts the rubber like a hot knife through butter. I was just curious if it was worth the effort. Thanks for the replies.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
I do the regroover thing to my Dunlop 739AT rears when knobs get rounded off but knob height is still good. It really extends the life of my tires.it works great for tires that round off before the knob wears off. Michelins seem to retain a sharper edge then others so I rarely bother regrooving Michelins. Super for Dunlops though. Friends now get me to do this to thier rear tires as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom