Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Without the help of Lori & Dave, we kinda blew it this year... if you've seen the image, you'll notice it's way to wide, easily twice, maybe 3 times wider than last year. It actually looks like less people than last year. Not being able to zoom in, it's hard to see individual faces like in the past.

We'll set out two posts next year and have everyone line-up between them.

Oct 10, 2000
Are you still gonna get a bunch made into posters for DW02 attendies if they want one?
Two post should do the trick, if your not between em your not in the pic.

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
Seemed like part of the problem this time was so many bikes in the pic. Kind of hard to close it up with 90% of the people sitting on their bike.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Run some caution tape in the shape of a large box, one that fits into the picture just right, then stuff us in there like a Thanksgiving turkey! No bikes, cept the little tikes, and mine of course.;) Maybe we should be on the hill portion of the start near the hairpin turn and have the camera on the start gate, it'll give us the theater seating effect! I'm so smart.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Plus the back of the pack going down hill didnt help either. I dont think the number of bikes made much difference, last year everyone had bikes and you can see clutch levers, etc on the bikes perfect. Even the on the back row.

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
After the picture taking was over, I noticed an area that looked like a better spot for the group pic.

Right on the other side of the first turn is a grass area (below the tower going towards the second tabletop after the second turn) that could be used. There is a flagger tower there at that second table that could be used by the photographer. If everyone ditched their bikes and we used the taped off area like others above have suggested above, we could fit in quite a few, I think. I didn't scope it out too close when I was at DW and maybe the flagger tower isn't high enough to get a good perspective. The next time I am at C'Land I will scope it out closer...

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by Okie
Without the help of Lori & Dave, we kinda blew it this year...

Nice to know we were missed. ;) Sorry the picture didn't turn out, though. I'll tell Dave his camera presence is mandatory for next year!

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Should have gotten everyone to site or stand on the big step-up. Then the shot would have been higher than wider. Plus it would have made for a killer pic.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM

Nice to know we were missed. ;) Sorry the picture didn't turn out, though. I'll tell Dave his camera presence is mandatory for next year!

We missed more than the camera! :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I like the picture on the step-up idea.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
What would the cost be of getting a pro photographer to show up and take the shot?
Someone like Dave, but not a DRNer. Dave did a great job, but I wouldn't mind seeing All of the DRNers in attendance in the photo.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
$1500 would get you a pro. I'd rather buy Dave a mongo timer, so he can run down and jump in the shot. :worship:

If Dave is anything like me, he'd trip and fall five feet before he made it into the frame. :)

Last edited:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Dave IS a pro photographer. ;)

(He found there was no money in being a photographer for a newspaper, so he went into IT. Now there's no money in IT! :eek: )

I know what you mean, though. It'd be nice to have him in the group shot.

I did build a 20ft. remote cable for his camera so we could do family portraits, but I don't think 20ft will cut it in the DW group shot! 100ft? 200ft? Have to cogitate on that one.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I can probably round up a garage door-type remote from one of my buds. I'm not sure what the range is, but it's cordless.

Lori, what type of work does Dave do? I knew he was good, but I didn't know he's a pro.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I did build a 20ft. remote cable for his camera so we could do family portraits, but I don't think 20ft will cut it in the DW group shot! 100ft? 200ft? Have to cogitate on that one.

Lori if you can give me an idea of what the mechanism is that needs to be triggered I can build a wireless remote control or a timing mechanism.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
The picture was staged too wide and the telephoto wasn't zoomed in tight on the crowd. The original photos can be zoomed in to about 200 to 250% without pixilating too much. I can identify almost anyone at that zoom ratio.
I wish I could have set the shot up, but y'all didn't have an hour to wait for me to get down there on crutches.
Rich - Great Idea. Many cameras have remotes available (mine does).
Lori - Is Dave's camera a meduim format? That would have been a great improvement in negative size.
We need to set the photo where we slope up in tiers and still have the sun behind the photographer. If we could have rotated 180 degrees, it would have been a much better picture, but the sun would have been wrong.
Tony

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Hell, for alot less than 1500 we could just pitch in and fly Dave and Lori out to Cooperland! :aj:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Okie
We'll get it right next year.

We can't wait for next year, that will be DW03 and this is DW02. Only one thing left to do, the only right thing to do. We must go back and retake the picture immediately. I'l start packing and see you all there in the morning.

ps, notice there are no little smileys in my post!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Julius: Dave's college degree is in photojournalism. He spent the first years of his career working for the Copley papers in the Chicago are. He's also done some freelance work for American Iron magazine (hence the need for the medium format camera).

Rich: The mechanism is just a simple momentary switch-- normally open. Dave says there's radio remotes availabe, he'll do some looking next week to see what prices are. If they're cheap enough, we'll pick one up. The other issue with the camera is that it's manual film advance, so he has to run back and forth for each shot anyway!

Tony: Yep, medium format. Negative size is 6cm x 7cm.
It was a lot of fun trying to set up the group shots down in Casey the last couple years. The best, sunniest spot was right at the start straight, which meant that Dave had to shoot from the pedestrian walkway over the track to get everyone in! And it was still a tight fit.

PapaK: I like that idea! But it's cheaper if we just drive (plus we can bring our bikes! ;) )

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rich: The mechanism is just a simple momentary switch-- normally open. Dave says there's radio remotes availabe, he'll do some looking next week to see what prices are. If they're cheap enough, we'll pick one up. The other issue with the camera is that it's manual film advance, so he has to run back and forth for each shot anyway!

Then I'll supply him with a fire-breathin Hodaka to expedite the film advance procedure. :thumb:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
PapaK: I like that idea! But it's cheaper if we just drive (plus we can bring our bikes!)
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Then I'll supply him with a fire-breathin Hodaka to expedite the film advance procedure. :thumb:

Wow, Lori, Dave, Rich and a Hodaka at DW03. What more can I ask for ....
Uh, that I don't wound myself ....
I'm holding y'all to it!

Dave can shoot the group shot and I handle the action and party pics.

Top Bottom