Trev250

Jun 20, 2001
I'm definetly still in. I agree w/ EXC though, if we are gonna do it this year we had better get started now. And let's not let the angels ruin it for us this year. :P

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Ok, simple. I'll pick the date: Aug 2nd & 3rd, 2003 . (And beyond for those that want to explore further--me.)

Place: Taylor Park.

Plan, simple: Meet at Taylor Park. Camp in general area, or wherever.

Hope: To meet a few more riders that know the area, and can lead us to some fun trails.

As few as, say, four to a dozen riders can make this plan work. It doesn't have to be huge. And most of the information needed is in the pages before this post. Let's try to do it--even if it's just a simple meeting of folks looking for some riding adventure. :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Are DOT legal bikes required? 

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I've got a friend that rides up there every year and he said that the 2 strokers have an issue with overheating due to the altitude. He recommends riding a 4 stroker when going in high elevations. Anyone ever have this issue?
It hasn't stopped him from riding his KDX up there though! :)

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
What's nice about the 4-strokes is that you don't always have to change the jetting to ride at higher elevations--some do ok at richer settings. And you usually can ride down from the the high elevations without changing the jettings too, and without the worry of seizing. I've found two strokes a bit more fuzzy.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
There are just as many if not more 2-strokes in the high country around here. If your coming from somewhere else you will probably need to re-jet, but you don't have to trade in the two stroke quite yet.

colorado-high

Jul 4, 2000
That is a bunch of B.S. about over heating a 2- stroke at altitude.I ride Taylor park just about every weekend in the summer on my KTM 250. I have yet to over heat it.

Trev250

Jun 20, 2001
Actually that would be three of us now in the high country that have not had problems. I have only had a problem with one bike overheating at altitude and that was because I leaked out all my coolant and seazed the piston. Oops.

Apr 12, 2000
You can count on some over heating, if you go to the top of mount Antero (14,000 ft) All the KDX 200s that I have ridden with have boiled over going up there(ten years worth), some of the larger bikes don't work so hard. Count on jetting at least the main for clean running at higher altitudes. Yes you can get by without it (on four strokes) but they run like crap at anything over half throttle, and will run out of power when you most need it (south quartz creek). There is no substitute for cubic inches.

Top Bottom