ZekeWard

Nov 19, 2002
I have installed a set of handguards but the clutch lever rubs, I have moved it far as I can go on the bar, is it normal to have to cut the ball of the clutch lever ?.. Is that a good/bad idea ?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
What brand hand guards, bar, and clutch lever? Is the lever tweaked from a fall, or in good condition?

Regardless, I'd say that it's a bad idea. You don't want *any* lever getting hung up or rubbing on anything.

I have Enduro Engineering bark busters with plastic brush guards, stock KDX levers, and a Renthal 7/8" bar. I did move my levers in a little so they'd clear everything, but also to get better leverage on the levers. I wouldn't want to cut the ball off; might slip off your fingers more than you'd like.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I've moved levers away from end of bars to prevent interferance. I've also had a bike with the lever ends cut. I have no problem with either method since I only use 2 fingers on levers typically and am a long way from the ends of levers.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
It is perfectly normal to have to cut the ball off the end of the levers when installing handgaurds. The purpose the ball serves is to keep the lever from stabbing the rider if it somehow manages to fall on them. This won't happen if you have handguards blocking the end of the levers...

Another alternative would be to buy shorty style levers. I don't know who sells them, but I've seen them a few times.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
An alternative is to relocate the mounts from the handlebar to the fork pinch bolts. The advantage is the guards do not spin in crash, and pushing the assembly to the front of the bike gives you more room for levers.

To do this you will need longer fork pinch bolts and you will have to fabricate a mount.

Top Bottom