n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I'm thinking about getting some handhuards for my KX. I have had problems on my old bikes with crashing and breaking the levers (and even the front master cylinder once!), and thought that guards would save the levers and the grips when I slide out or otherwise hit the ground.

However, I've kinda been wondering if they're safe. How easy is it to get tangled up in them? I've got this horrible picture in my mind of going over the bars and twisting my hand in the guards... hopefully this isn't a problem. Has anyone had this problem? I would be getting just the metal bar type, without the plastic deflector, at least for now. Should I just plan on replacing levers and grips instead?

Thanks,
Andy

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I think most MX'ers use the ones w/o the metal bar (just the plastic deflector) but I ride trails so I dunno. you make a valid point though!

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I have the Acerbis Light Flag guards on the CR. They hold up very well in crashes, even when the perch/lever or both break in the crash. Now I've got the Bark Busters on my YZ, and love them (but only in the woods). For me, the give a awkward feeling while riding on the track. So I do not run them on the CR.  And yes, the Bark Busters can cause twisting of arms, in a crash. But they do save levers. Just one of those calls each has to make.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
"which is more expensive, a broken lever or a broken wrist? "

That's why I asked... I guess since it can be a problem I'll avoid them. Thanks for the input everyone.

Andy

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
After reading about people breaking wrists and hands on here I'm very paraniod riding on a track with mine, I'll be getting a sep. set of bars/throttle tube etc. sometime in the future.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was always leary of mounting them for the track. I put a set on about a year and a half ago and I don't know how many times they may have saved my hide. I'm hooked on full aluminum guards, and hope that doesn't become a literal statement. I haven't gotten tangle up in them yet. I've got to give the nod to the guards just on the side of caution.

I think the best I've seen are the Cycra, which has a lower profile. And the SRC (Summers Racing) that use the clamps for mounting.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
You didnt state what type of riding you would be doing on your KX. I ride mainly woods and wont ride without the aluminum wrap around type. I have crashed many times and never gotten caught in them. One other thing, in the past 13 years of riding with them, I have never replaced a torn grip or bent a lever!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
From busted up hands, both from ground and wood.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I ride 95% MX so my main interest in getting them would be to save the levers and bars from damage... not so concerned about my hands. Looks like I'll be avoiding them for now.

Andy

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've had handguards on all my bikes since I broke two fingers on my right hand in 1988. I don't race MX, but have ridden a few times on MX tracks and raced a couple Hare Scambles that used part of a MX track. I've done my fair share of crashing and have never broken my wrist or even had it trapped between the guard and the bars. I'm not saying it can't happen, I just think it's a highly unlikely injury.

To prevent your levers from breaking you might try running your perch clamps a little looser or using thread tape between the perch and the bar so the perch will rotate upon impact.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
If you're going to be riding on the track, what do you need hand guards for? You plan on side swiping the grand stand? :eek: :) They aren't a good idea for track purposes. How many MXers do YOU see at the track with guards on their bikes? I don't mean the guys who ride woods and then hit the track once in a while. I mean the full time racers. There are two reasons they don't have them... 1) They don't need them. 2) They don't need broken wrists. ;) For the purpose of track riding, I strongly suggest NOT using hand guards.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Just a curious question, has anybody ever or have known someone to break their wrist from handgaurds? Just sitting here thinking about it , I would think that you would have to be just about running yourself over while still having a grip on the bars. Personally I never hang on to the last minute so I guard the bike up to fend for itself while I bail. I mostly ride in the woods and not really a hard charger. Most of my bails are either sliding out or jumping off the back so Iam definately not certain what would happen going over the front.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Let me ask this question... do you see bark busters on Ricky or Bubba's bikes?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by jmics19067
Just a curious question, has anybody ever or have known someone to break their wrist from handgaurds?

Yes...not pretty. That said, I installed a couple of pairs of Hebo (similar to Acerbis) this summer. They are the plastic type that wrap around to the bar end. At the bar end mount, they instruct you to cut away a pie shaped (pre-marked) area at the rear facing portion of the guard...sorry, difficult to describe, but hopefully you get the point. Basically, this allows the guard to "breakaway" in the event your hand get jammed behind them, yet protects fine from frontal impacts.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
dirty d, maybe you didn't read my first post. I'm not interested in the guards because I'm afraid I'll smash my hands, but because I don't want to break my levers, or perches, or brake master cylinder, or tear up my grips. I may just loosen the levers up and move them in towards the center of the bars a little more so only the bar ends hit.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
...the ol' plumbers tape under the perch works pretty good ;) You may want to try simple "deflector" type guards too, as they seem to provide some protection of levers (at least keep them from digging into ground)

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Simple solution : buy Pro-Taper bars and several replacement levers. I know a guy that broke both wrists simultaneously when he went over the bars. I'm flat out scared of bark busters now!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by n8MX
dirty d, maybe you didn't read my first post.&nbsp;

I did read your first post.&nbsp; I was attempting to add a little humor to my post,&nbsp;but since it was missed *sigh*.&nbsp;&nbsp;:ugg:&nbsp; You asked if they were safe for mx...

However, I've kinda been wondering if they're safe.

&nbsp;and I answered your question, from what I've seen and heard... THEY ARE NOT SAFE.&nbsp; Next time you're at the track just look around... how many guards do you see?

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by dirty~d~

there are a ton of things different between whats on my bike and those bikes :) brand new bikes with just about anything that they want for it compared to 10 year old bike and my roll of duct tape getting thin and especially fast guys who rarely crash compared to an old slow guy who crashes often

Originally posted by JTT

Yes...not pretty. That said, I installed a couple of pairs of Hebo (similar to Acerbis) this summer. They are the plastic type that wrap around to the bar end. At the bar end mount, they instruct you to cut away a pie shaped (pre-marked) area at the rear facing portion of the guard...sorry, difficult to describe, but hopefully you get the point. Basically, this allows the guard to "breakaway" in the event your hand get jammed behind them, yet protects fine from frontal impacts.

sorry about the morbid question but thanks for letting me know JTT and Dave

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Actually I'm almost sure they are not allowed in MX competition. The style that mount to the bars in front of the controls are allowed, but the type you asked about are not(connected at the bar end). Just make sure your lever ends are inside the ends of the bars and snug the perches down just enough so you can't move them but a whack with the hand will. There has to be a district ref on here somewhere , he would be able to clarify.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
just loosen the levers up and move them in towards the center of the bars a little more so only the bar ends hit..

This has saved many levers for me.. Plus leave them a bit loose, but not too loose..

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by dirty~d~

Are you implying that they have an invisible metal that they use for their guards? :confused:

Top Bottom